1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else find this a bit weird....borderline unethical....?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

To me it reads like a smartass who thinks he's figured out a way to game the system.

Oh yeah, fella, I know a producer at the Raleigh CBS affiliate who's just dying to lead the news with stained glass. ::)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really, someone this clueless to how the business works would probably think a $1,000 retainer and a $100 bonus for every time you got someone to mention the business in a story a good deal.
    And there are plenty of local TV programs that do this type of pay for play.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

For all the talk about Craigslist putting papers out of business because of the free ads, I've run across more bogus ads than legit ads. Careful: I'm getting tons of spam e-mail now because I uploaded my resume to a bogus job-search site that has many aliases and fairly convincing ads. Be very, very leery of ads on Craigslist.

Especially those claiming to represent the Postal Service and other big names. Go to the appropriate sites (usps.com, etc.) and bypass the people who want to scam you for a fee, leads, what-not.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I have a BLOG!. Think he'd pay me to write about his windows on that?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I won't use Craisglist again because of all of the bogus listings.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Stuff like this is a dime a dozen---write a press release and make it read as much as possible as a news piece or feature and get community papers to carry it. Nothing wrong with that. It's an attempt at p.r. by a company that probably---uh, make that, obviously---does not have a professional p.r. staff or writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted