1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else find this a bit weird....borderline unethical....?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Some company advertising on craiglist for a writer to get a story about them published. Seems unethical to me to hire a journalist to write a story for your own product to be published in a paper. And dumb, too. But probably just some ploy to get their name out there for cheap.

I'll let someone else point out the amazing grammatical errors in it....

Here's the ad link....
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/wri/1043146209.html

AND it's text if they yank it....

Reply to: job-1043146209@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Date: 2009-02-20, 3:02PM EST

I need writers who have established connections in business and art print publication or TV media. We are a corporate stained glass windows and art company in North Carolina and need to create awareness about our unique art through print and TV media in NC and VA. Please send examples of your past published articles, etc. Beside writing the article (or story for TV channel) I need to have it published so please do keep that in mind while bidding on the project.
    Employer Questions: (1) I would like to know what print and TV connections you have. Please provide web address of these medias so I can check their demographics.
    (2) Can you guarantee publishing/coverage of the article in the medias quoted?

* Compensation: TBD
    * Telecommuting is ok.
    * This is a contract job.
    * Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    * Please, no phone calls about this job!
    * Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

2. CCaple

CCaple Member

Ken Krayeske would be all over this.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a PR gig - and judging by the effort on the job description, he REALLY DOES need a writer.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

if he pays well, i just might call him.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thing is, I can't think of many people in the market for stained glass windows besides churches. Wouldn't it be better to target that market and not go to the general publications?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, PR people do this all the time.

7. PatrickCarney

PatrickCarney New Member

smells like pr not journalism

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a PR gig to write an "advertorial" or whatever it's called. And the author doesn't have much of a grasp on how the business works, but it's not like he or she is the first person to not understand it.

The part about being able to guarantee publication really indicates no knowledge of journalism, PR or publicity.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yeah I can guarantee coverage, but I'm factoring in the cost of the ad in my bid.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hiring a writer or TV person to do a story/video for a company website would be no problem.

Hiring a writer/TV person to do a advertorial story that the company would pay to run, no problem.

Hiring a writer/TV person to do a story and then convince the bosses that it is worth airing or putting in the paper would be a sure-fire firing.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I used to work with someone who didn't understand there was a difference between PR/Business Wire and the AP wire. She thought issuing a press release through one of those services meant the guaranteed AP distribution. She just didn't get it.

12. Ace is right on, and it's clear either the person placing the ad doesn't understand how the media works, or does understand and is trying to find someone with inside connections to ensure the story runs. Definite firing offense. I have no problem with anyone writing the piece. But the stained glass company has to place it, not the writer. And the line about no phone calls? Red flags all over this.

Draft saved Draft deleted