1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else bothered by this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have noticed more and more companies, when posting job listings, include the disclaimer "Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted."

This sort of ticks me off. I understand the difficulty in responding to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of applicants. But, ironically, electronic communication has actually made it easier to do so. So, I am wondering, are these people just plain freakin' too lazy?

When I first graduated from university, I must have querried every pro team and media outlet in North America about jobs. I received a HUGE stack of letters saying "Thank you for your interest. We will keep your resume on file." Even got one from a club in NFL Europe. It didn't get me a job, but at least it made me feel a little more human in the meantime.

Anyone who has done much job hunting knows how frustrating it can be to run into a string of dead ends. But more and more, it feels like my applications are falling into a giant black hole. Why is it so darn hard for companies to at least acknowledge your application?

2. I understand why it's frustrating, but I would imagine the number of resumes people are getting has been growing by the same percentage as the unemployment rate in journslism. Add that to the fact we are all being asked to do more with less, and I can see why they can't call everybody back. If you got 100 resumes in for a position where you are only seriously considering 4 or 5 people, do you really have th etime to call 95 people back who have no chance of getting the job?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm bothered by it, but you should expect communication proportional to what you put into the application. Applying online in seconds by pasting resumes or rapid-firing e-mails to editors, it's unrealistic to expect anything more than a formatted e-mail in return. On the other hand, the traditional snail-mailed envelope of clips and cover letter deserves a response signed by someone.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some companies are very good about sending an email back saying they received your resume and then following up telling you that you were not selected. (Hi, P-D!)

Others you never hear a peep from and I think that's bad. It should at least be some kind of computer generated response that your email was received.

I also think if you have to register on their site and get a login and everything, that they should then inform you if you have not been chosen.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm bothered whenever I don't hear back. An e-mail takes what, ten seconds?

6. bp6316

bp6316 Member

playthrough sort of hit on my philosophy: If I can tell someone put the time and effort into making this a serious request for a job, I'm far more apt to drop them a note and say thanks. But when I was hiring sports people, I never thought different about someone who e-mailed a solid packet of stuff as opposed to snail-mailing one in. There really should be no difference between the two now.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I didn't hear back from the vast majority of papers I applied to this summer. The only time I got peeved was when I didn't hear back from one I had a phone interview. I found out on the SportsJournalists.com board months later after I got my job that the position was frozen.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are people still applying to papers? I am talking about applying online at big companies where no contact number is given, and by the job posting you wouldn't even know who your supervisor would be.

At those places you have to navigate past the recruiters before you get any face time or contact info.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

If you're on dial up.

10. captzulu

captzulu Member

It ain't just newspapers. Many of the non-newspaper places I applied to didn't write back, whether I applied online, via e-mail, or snail mail. I've gotten used to it and don't expect any "thanks for applying but ..." responses. It really doesn't bother me.

And I always share this story on the subject of rejection letters, just for laughs: I applied to a state agency once, got a rejection letter three months after the job posting closed. The letter misspelled my name and said how much they enjoyed interviewing me (even though they never contacted me for an interview). A week later I got a follow-up letter apologizing for the mistakes regarding my name and the interview thing.

11. micke77

micke77 Member

In our high-tech world where a cell phone, BlackBerry, IM, etc., is with us constantly, there is absolutely no excuse in not getting some type of reply. none whatsoever.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Ding, ding, ding! We're all being asked to do more work, so the person you're sending this stuff to more than likely probably doesn't even have the time to go through them all. If it's like my shop, the supervisors are doing just as much (and sometimes more) work as those under them. Don't think it's being lazy at all. Now, if you get an interview and don't hear back after the fact, then I have a problem. But just because you sent a packet? No. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted