1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone drive a KIA Sorento?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jun 10, 2015.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We're thinking about getting a 2016 and are ready to pull the trigger. Anyone out there with Sorento who can offer a little advice? It would be much appreciated.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Test drove one. Fell in loooooooove with it.

Seemed as if the seat cushioned itself around me. Great ride, and the interiors looked as cool as the outside.

Didn't qualify for the loan, but did somehow qualify for a Jeep Liberty with 4-wheel drive that I'll never use, that jacked up my gas bill AND my insurance.

FML

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I drive a Hyundai Santa Fe which is pretty much the same car, actually. Test drove the Sorento and was prepared to buy it or the Santa Fe - just depended on what dealership could give me the best deal.

The Sorento actually had a bit more space in the trunk. Standards like keyless entry were nice, too. Most importantly it drives well, plenty of power regardless of which trim level you pick.

Not thrilled with the mileage, but then again my other car is a Mazda 3.

4. TwoGloves

Thanks. Keep 'em coming ... please.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I owned a Kia Forte a few years ago, and I'd seriously consider going back to Kia, especially for something like a Sorento. They look pretty sharp. Does Kia still have the really good warranty these days?

6. TwoGloves

Good warranty, yes. 10 years, 100,000 miles with 60,000 on the power train.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We are thinking of leasing a third-row vehicle. Hyundai and Kia will be our first look.

I have 145,000 on a Hyundai Elantra right now that I put about 30,000 a year on, and, touch wood, it's been doing great.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Drove a 2012, now a 2015 and it's awesome. Only downside is the third row is a pain in the ass to get into if you have to use it, but when the seats are down there is a remarkable amount of room back there. I'm storing golf clubs, strollers, kid art, bags, food, camera bags, diaper bags. Pile it up, it fits.
    We had some recall issues with the 2012 - there were three recalls on parts - but nothing so far with the 15.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Devil - the third row in the Sorento isn't easy. Seats go up just fine, but it's tough for an adult to get back there.
    My buddy went mini-van and it's perfect, provided you're not trying to pick up chicks.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I know this is a Kia discussion, but I would take a peek at the Subaru Foresters too, at least for comparison. They hold up well, and I would consider buying a used one that is two to five years old, or new if you can afford it.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Subarus are great. My wife has a Legacy, and I've been looking at Outbacks for a while now. But as Vombatus is hinting at, the new ones are expensive. Used ones are more reasonable. Solid, solid vehicles.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Kia and Hyundai have come such a long way. It used to be you'd buy one due to the cheapness and features you'd get for the money. Then they came out with the big warranty. Then they added style, reliability and good performance in a short amount of time. My sister-in-law has an older Kia Sedona (I think it's 2008 or so) and hasn't had any problems.
    Subarus are good, too. My dad got an Imprezza two years ago and hasn't had any trouble. I find the CVT transmission annoying, but supposedly they are better now. For a while Outbacks had head gasket issues, but I think those were the late 1990s to about 2005 or so models.

Draft saved Draft deleted