1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone do any caving?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So I'm going to Guatemala on Thursday and while there, we're probably going to spend a day or two caving.

I've done some minor caving before in upstate NY and wore hiking boots, which wasn't a problem, but when I went caving in Thailand a couple years ago, my footwear was pretty inappropriate. We were walking through a river that carved out a cave and I wore sandals (not the kind that strap to your feet) and I was lucky to get through without breaking an ankle.

Anyway, I was looking for some advice on what kind of footwear would be suitable for a similar adventure. I was thinking of some Tevas (the kind of sandals with a heel strap), but was wondering if anyone had any expertise on the subject.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I heard it's easy...

[​IMG]

I did it with a summer camp for which I was a counselor and I wore sneakers. Some kids wore Tevas, but when the guide showed them his severed toes, they put on shoes.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't offer any advice on caving, but make sure you hit Antigua when in Guatemala.

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

No, wear shoes that fully cover your feet. You don't necessarily need something as rugged as hiking boots, but you will need durable shoes that are comfortable.

I went spelunking at the Cumberland Caverns in McMinnville, Tenn. once. It was an awesome experience and something everyone should do at least once in their life.

5. bigpern23

That's where we'll be spending the first few days ... then off to Tikal, then some caving and probably finish up relaxing in Tortugal (near Rio Dulce).

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Every time my wife nags me to do yard work.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Dammit, you beat me to it.

8. bigpern23

Bump for the night crew

9. spelunking

that is all.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've done quite a bit. As you get closer to the Equator, the caves tend to be more moist. Limestone sweats in humidity.
    So, wearing a hiking boot is a good idea, because more than likely, moisture will be in the caves. If your boots aren't waterproof, buy a $5 can of ScotchGuard and spray the living shit out of the them.

11. KG

KG Active Member

I haven't been in a long time but when I was younger I used to sneak off and trek through the caves near my house. I never wore anything more rugged than tennis shoes and never had a problem. I've been to Mammoth Cave too, but I don't know if a guided tour counts as much.

12. bigpern23

Cavers rescue spelunkers. Bitch.

Actually, when I titled the thread using caving, I did so believing caving was the term for inexperienced people exploring unchallenging caves. In fact, spelunkers are looked down upon by experienced cavers, who see them as unprepared people who use unreliable light sources.

But, since I'm looking for advice from cavers, the thread title stands. Punk. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted