1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone catch Kindred's piece on new head of Augusta?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ellis Redding, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Pretty interesting story, especially the lede. How long has he written for Golf Digest? Anyway, here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/masters07/news/story?id=2815898

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

About 10 years, I believe.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's only the 27th out of 134 Billy Payne stories we're going to see in the next week.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Having struggled to avoid getting overrun due to a lack of strategic and tactical oversight as a member of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics staff, I'm not the biggest fan of Payne's body of work.

He did a great job getting the Olympics there. After that ... well I would argue the games were a success, but it wasn't Payne's fault.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There was a huge piece on him in this week's SI Masters preview magazine.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

There's an even bigger piece, I WAGER, in the hometown Masters paper.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just caught it. Great article written by a true pro. Engaged me from the begining.

Billy Payne reminds me of Charlie Croker character from "A Man in Full".

It seems like the is a whole corp of Billy Payne's out there. All seemed to have played football at Georgia or Georgia Tech. All are now in either insurance or real estate and all play golf.

If you drill down you would find that all in some way were greatly influenced by Bobby Dodd- some directly and some indirectly.

Draft saved Draft deleted