1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen ... or James Webb?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

There's nothing quite like the celebration of Lee-Jackson-King Day in Virginia.

2. Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

No Crass it is a double standard. Biden can crack jokes about having to have an Indian accent to buy anything from a 7-11 these days and its not racist? But Allen uses a made-up word and he's a racist? That's a double standard. I tried to Google for a response by Steve Mukherjee on the Biden comments but not surprisingly came up empty. I guess nabbing a Democrat in a racist comment wasn't news to the Washington Post. [And please note that I'm not arguing that Allen isn't a racist but if what Guy posted is true then all the evidence was there before the macaca comment.]

Your example of Byrd being in the klan so Republicans can go hang homosexuals is just surreal. When have Republicans hung homosexuals? You are comparing a fact with an outright slur. When gay jokes are made these days it is usually from the Left. In fact I bet if you checked the voting registration of the two who killed matthew Shepard you would see a big D next to their names.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Chris, go fuck yourself. That was so far out of line, I don't even know what to say.

4. Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

DD - a double standard exists which allows Joe Biden (a serious contender for the Democratic nomination) to make a stupid comment that is racist in nature while Allen is held to a different standard. It is no coincidence that all the prominent examples of a politician saying something stupidly racist and getting away with it come from the left side of the aisle these past dozen years.

And I can't help but notice that you made no comment on Crass talking about Republicans hanging homosexuals (a comment that is way out of line) but got all bent out of shape at my responce.

You can't handle the truth. You probably saw this bit on The Daily Show and thought it was clever to post about old news. Nobody is going to defend stupid comments unless they come from a Hillary, a Joe Biden a Robert Byrd or any of the Democrats you mention. The Republicans won't accept such words and actions which is why Allen won't be the nominee in 2008. That's the truth and you can't handle it.

My bet stands.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Chris, I'm curious... how does Biden's comment about the proliferation of Indians in northern Delaware compare to Allen singling out someone and making fun of his ethnicity at a campaign rally?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Allen should have made fun of hillbilly stereotypes instead while campaigning in Alexandria. Then that would have been cool, judging by the attitude of many here.

Fucktards.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Biden was wrong in his comments. I am not too aware of them, but if they are what you say they are, that is pretty fucked up.

The difference is that Allen is currently in an election race. Thus, these comments will receive some legs due to the fact that they come so close to the election time.

Additionally, Allen is running in Virginia, not exactly a place far from where the Washington Post sets up shop.

No, I'm demonstrated the preposterous nature of your argument.

Biden said something stupid and wasn't called on it. Allen said something potentially racist and is. You shouldn't call Allen on it because Chris couldn't find any articles calling out Biden.

Wow. Seriously more fucked up shit.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Because my comment was hyperbole regarding something that didn't happen. You outright accused Democrats, the party that seems to actually want equal rights for homosexuals, of being bigotted and killing homosexuals.

9. Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

Biden made his comments (if I recall correctly) in mostly white New Hampshire. They were made as a joke. Allen's "macaca" comment was also probably meant as a joke (although much more mean spirited). They are the same (as I pointed out in my original post) in that they point out a deficiency in the person making the comment to think on their feet. Neither is fit for high office yet the voters of their respective states return them to office.

10. Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

Crass - maybe you need some help with geography but Joe Biden is the Senator from Delaware. That's fairly close to DC as well.

If Biden had made a comment ripping President Bush you could be sure that it would have made the WaPo front page.

There is a huge difference between hyperbole and an outright slur. What you wrote wasn't hyperbole - it was a slur.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sounds like Allen's in deep macaca.
      Ignoring his remarks (or how we all interpret them), even acknowledging the presence of the opposition's videotape guy while at a microphone is a stupid move, in my opinion. Allen is an idiot for putting himself in a position where a dumb remark gets picked up - most racists in politics at least keep it under their hats when they're at a public campaign event.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As you pointed out, Biden's comments weren't made in Delaware. So, maybe you should take your own advice in regards to geography.

Maybe. It depends on what he says.

No, I posed a more graphic version of the argument you made. You are justifying the stupid racist behavior of one person by saying someone ideologically different did something remotely similar.

Allen, with his history, made these comments and demonstrated himself to be a racist. Just because someone else makes stupid comments doesn't mean Allen's comments weren't what they were.

Draft saved Draft deleted