1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone at small school Texas tennis today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kritter47, May 7, 2007.

1. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I need the Class 2A semifinal scores from girls doubles, if anyone has them. The UIL's website is run by monkeys and has not been updated all day for the small schools.

Anyone with access to a wire or someone there all day have those scores? Thanks!

Edit: Got one thing I needed. Now just need girls doubles semi scores. Anyone?

2. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Is anybody at the bar? My watering hole is run by slow moving morons, and I really need a drink. Can someone out there pm me a Miller Lite???

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our only 2A girl punched out 4 and 2 early.

4. jobu

jobu Member

Kritter,

Fire off an e-mail to Kim Rogers of the UIL at uilpr@mail.uil.utexas.edu and get on her mailing list for results so you don't have to scramble around in the future.

5. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

JoBu - thanks. I got them eventually, but you're right about preventing scrambling in the future.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, Kritter, but next time do some prep work so you know where you're getting the results from.
    If you're counting on the State website, you're asking for trouble.
    If you have to come on a message board and beg for help, you look like an incompetent.
    You knew you needed to get these results, why ddin't you arrange with a coach or someone you knew was going to be there to call them in to you?
    It's called knowing how to work.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In all fairness, spnited, in Texas, high school tennis (even the state finals) gets about as much attention as tiddleywinks. We had a team at the state finals one year and didn't even know it because there was zero demand for coverage.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well that's a shame, Alley Allen, because little Lindsay (Davenport-wannabe) works just as hard as the football players at Permian and deserves just as much recognition and credit......

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Tennis? Small schools tennis?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Doesn't matter what the demand is for coverage.
    Obviously, Kritter was somewhat desparate to get the results.
    As such, he should have made some kind of arrangement beforehand. No matter how inconsequential the results seem to most of you, they apparently meant something to him and his paper.

If you know you need a result from some remote location, make arrangements in advance. That's all.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not doubting that reporters need to be prepared, spnited, but it might help a little to understand the circumstances. In Texas, a 2A school is likely to be represented by a pretty small daily (or even weekly) newspaper with one or two sports people at most. With the end of the sports/school year in Texas, there are NUMEROUS events/playoffs/finals going on, and I can speak from experience, far too little manpower to take care of it all.

It's likely, although kritter didn't mention it, that amid the one million other stories and pages on the front of the oven, doubles tennis somehow slipped in there forgotten or unnoticed.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree Alley, but Kritter was at the event and didn't stay around long enough to get the results.

Draft saved Draft deleted