1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody working tonight? Ugh. (Warning-- whiny rant)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I worked Christmas Eve. I guess I've been lucky the past few years. I'm the only person in the sports department tonight, and I have almost no material-- oh well, I'll figure something out.

My family is at a candlelit Christmas Eve church service. :(

Anyway, here at work, an e-mail was sent out last week telling employees to clean their food out of the fridge in the break room "so that there will be room for the platters of food on Monday night"-- platters for employees to eat. So I didn't bring my dinner.

I go to the break room and there are 10 platters of food in the fridge... with huge, obnoxious notes taped to them saying, "DON'T OPEN UNTIL CHRISTMAS DAY!! FOR EMPLOYEES WORKING CHRISTMAS DAY ONLY!!"

So unless I can find a sad little McDonald's open, I'm SOL.

Please perk me up!!!

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Take one of the platters for yourself, throw away the evidence, and pretend there were only nine.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

fuck that. the christmas eve staff should bust open a couple of platters. what they gonna do, fire your asses?!

EDIT: of course, 21 put it must more gently. but i agree whole-heartedly. if one platter suffices for the eve staffers, do that. but don't destroy the evidence. let it serve as a message to your thoughtless bosses. jerks.

4. Lugnuts

Right, shockey. Arby's is tempting, but I like 21's idea. The few employees we have here tonight could conspire to gobble up one platter and shred the note attached. ;D

Or I could fast and be extremely pleased with myself in the morning for losing a pound.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Eat the food.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Take a little bit from each platter and then blame the newsside folks when asked :D
    (Edit: I like 21 and Shockey's idea of just taking a platter for yourself and disposing of the evidence)

Isn't there a Chinese Restaurant that delivers nearby? Or a Chinese Restaurant nearby you can run out to?

Let me get this straight -- there will be enough employees working Christmas Day to merit 10 platters worth of food, but those that have to work Christmas Eve get nothing?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Luggy,

I am missing Christmas Eve service too, but hope to be out of here soon.

Grab those platters and enjoy, girl!

I'd much rather work Christmas Day than Christmas Eve. You are getting the short end so don't feel guilty.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm working tonight. Should be out within the hour as we have a 7:30 off the floor and all my pages will be done well before that.

I'm working tomorrow night with regular deadlines. Since I'll be the lone sports guy tomorrow night, my wife's going to bring in some Chinese food and we'll eat dinner together at my desk.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sitting on my big fat ass getting ready to start drinking. My grandduggie is here, one kid in house and the other on the way.
    Come on over Luggie. We have plenty of food and you are welcome to as much of it as you want. Stay until tomorrow and get some of my smoked turkey and smoked roast beef.

10. Lugnuts

sniffle, sniffle. that's nice...

No, there will be leftover food tomorrow -- that's the thing. They always over-buy when they do stuff like this, and the food goes to waste.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Can I come over and drink Mod?

12. blueview

blueview Member

Agreed, take some food, eat it inconspicuously as if you brought something for yourself, and then do some creative re-arranging with the platter before heading home for the night. Look at it as an early Christmas bonus.

Draft saved Draft deleted