1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody Want to Argue Evolution vs "Intelligent Design"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That chaos preceded the six days of creation (see verse 2), which made order of them culminating in the creation/emergence of man and his sin. Abridged version.

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Buck,

You and I clearly see things differently. If my system of belief is based on the assumption that this present world is in decay, and yours is on the assumption that things are improving, then those are opposite. They are irreconcilable.

It's a false dichotomy to claim that belief in Genesis is "faith" while belief in Darwinism is proveable. To believe in evolution requires as much faith as belief in Genesis, because neither one of us was there to witness the event. Faith in evolution requires reliance on the observation powers of humans, which we know can be faulty.

Again, you can't reconcile these two different beliefs. If evolution is true, then Genesis must be discarded. If Genesis is true, then the human wisdom of observation is insufficient.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And that's your system of belief.

No one's asking you to reconcile your system of belief to anyone else's, or to science.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Click on the Barbara Forrest audio, WB.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/defining.html

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You probably know this, but: Theory means something totally different in scientific terms, W-B.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

OK, there's an answer. But that does not solve the problem of evolution's claim that death caused the mutation of life, while God claims that He made all life "good" and that death did not come until after sin.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't get the question. Explain it to someone who has had one semester of biology (and a poor one at that) since 10th grade.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

....the problem of evolution's claim that death caused the mutation of life....

?

9. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Buck,

I'm not looking for a fight, I promise. But this debate is more important than my system or your system. Both cannot be true at the same time.

If Genesis is true, then there are serious stakes for everyone. If evolution is true, it is at the expense of Genesis, and there are ramifications that involve everyone there, too.

10. I can't be wrong. I stole that argument from my junior year biology teacher, dammit.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's the problem.

There are not two "different beliefs" at work here.

There's a religious belief in the creation of the universe. It has nothing to do with science

The theory of evolution is not a "belief" and your comment that "no one was there to witness the event' means you don't know what a scientific theory is.

Your religion can state that the sun revolves around the earth--oh, wait, we used to believe it but we don't any more. Science showed it was supernatural hocus pocus.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't believe in Genesis. And I don't believe in Beatles. I just believe in me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.