1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody vacationed in N.O. post-Katrina?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dargan, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's simply not true.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is very little visible damage in the tourist areas... The 9th Ward is definitely another story...

3. Johnny Dangerously

I don't know what your definition of tourist areas is, but I'm guessing you didn't spend much time in Lakeview, Gentilly, Bywater, Village de L'est and a few other areas that aren't part of the Lower Ninth tour.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm talking about the French Quarter... They've done a hell of an impressive job rebuilding that area and the area around it...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That area was above water and suffered only superficial wind damage.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

If you want to visit a restaurant that's a hidden gem, hit Rita's in the French Quarter (assuming it's still open). If you like seafood, get the Taste of New Orleans platter. Outfreakingstanding and reasonably priced too.

7. Johnny Dangerously

The French Quarter certainly came out better than most areas and was closer to normal much sooner than other areas could dream of. As Football_Bat said, the Quarter was relatively unscathed by anything more than wind and looting. I was just pointing out that your earlier comment -- "Unless you visit the Ninth Ward, you can barely tell that anything happened" -- wasn't entirely accurate. There are still areas outside the Lower Ninth where it's obvious there are major problems.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Wow, thanks for all the good tips, y'all. Rita's, huh? I'll have to check that out. And the Gray Line Katrina bus tour, is that something you do the day of or sign up for in advance?

I always go to Acme Oyster House multiple times, and I love the Jackson Square stuff.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I was there two weeks ago, helping another SJ member move down there, and I had a blast.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How is the sj member doing in his new digs?

11. John

John Well-Known Member

He's doing great. He accepted a job offer yesterday and starts Tuesday. The young man has definitely landed on his feet.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Good for him. Which job did he take? PM me, please, or tell him to do so -- and to call me so I can buy him the lunch I promised him.

Draft saved Draft deleted