1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody still using a modem?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 2, 2008.

?

You last used a plain old telephone system modem (not cable, not DSL) when?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2008.
  1. Within the past week

3.7%
  2. Within the past month

7.4%
  3. Within the last 3 months

7.4%
  4. Within the last 6 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Within the last year

7.4%
  6. Within the last two years

11.1%
  7. More than two years ago

59.3%
  8. Never used one

3.7%
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At one point, a computer with an onboard modem was a rarity; in fact, I just tonight found an old Global Village modem I once bought for a Mac that no longer exists. Now modems are as common as shift keys, except in Apple world.

But do we still use 'em? Haven't used a modem myself in a couple of years. You?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Up until a few weeks ago, we didn't have wireless laptops at our office and we had to use a modem to send or stories in from places like UK if the game was a late one and we didn't have time to drive back and write anything. That's about it though.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's been awhile. I went the high-speed route at least four years ago.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I had one in my last apartment.

Now that I've changed jobs I've got wireless in my apartment -- router is in my landlord's apartment upstairs -- and wireless in the office, as well as at all stadiums and arenas where I cover games.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My house has been on a cable modem since 2001, and I last used a dial-up modem at work in 2003. Some of my co-workers who live out in the hinterlands still use dial-up. I know it has to frustrate them to go home to a slow modem after using the high speed at work.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Within the last three months

I filed from a high school soccer game with dialup through AOL in October. Most of the time though i can plug into an ethernet, go to a hotel or some place with wifi or go back to the office.

Outside of work, it's been a few years. Last time was probably at my family's vacation place.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well, technically I use a DSL modem all the time ... but a dial-up modem? It's been several years.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's been almost three years since I used a modem.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My mom has one. When we visit and I want to use a computer, I go to the 24-hour Kinkos.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Wait, isn't this question flawed?

We are all using modems right now to connect to the Internet. It's just a matter of speed (ie dialup, DSL or cable) and whether they are internal or external. For example, I have a Motorola SURFboard cable modem. The cable line is plugged into that. An ethernet connects the surfboard to my wireless router, and presto! I have full wireless coverage.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

All right, smartass I'll specify. Anybody still using a telephone modem?

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I was last week. I had a period of time where my wireless Internet access inexplicably went down. Thus, time to dust off the ol' phone line.

Thing gave my computer a fit. It was like putting a CD on a record player.

Draft saved Draft deleted