1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody remember the TV show "Combat" with Vic Morrow?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 4, 2006.

1. The helicopter scene stil weirds me out.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

And who can forget the Triple-A version of "Combat," a show called "The Gallant Men."

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

FB:
    Yes I'd imagine he did. Several times, probably. Fortunately he escaped unscathed, he always said there were always some older guys who looked out for the 18-year-old colege kid. He doesn't talk about it very much.

According to "Citizen Soldiers," I think the 44th Infantry Division had an 88 percent casualty rate, one of the highest in the Army. Some divisions were well over 100 percent, because replacement troops are counted in the formula somehow.

4. micro --
    If your Dad landed at D-Day, then my father was firing shells over his head as he went in.
    God bless all of them.

5. That was Caje, not Gage, short for Cajun. Because he was from Louisiana. Morrow's standard line: "Caje, take the point."

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The NY Times had a story this week on Eddie Murphy (he's getting Oscar buzz for "Dreamgirls") and how difficult he is to work with. It featured a quote from some old press conference, when Murphy was asked if he would ever work again with director John Landis. He said, "Vic Morrow has a better chance of working again with John Landis than me."

Not too classy, but kinda funny.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember kids at school would be talking about it in the 1960s, but we never watched at our house... probably watching a comedy.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Those opening credits were very cool.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I watched it all the time when I was 5 or 6 years old, and in my neighborhood we all had plastic army shit. This was mid-1960s, just before the hippies made it uncool to wear plastic helmets and "kill" the next-door neighbor.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When I was a kid the 100-year Civil War celebrations were a big deal. We had Billy Yank or Johnny Reb forage caps, faux rifles/pistol cap guns with Greenie Stick-um caps, those tiny Civil War plastic soldiers that were used for dioramas, etc.

I even went to the 100-year re-enactment of the first battle of Manassas, the "Great Skedaddle." Great fun.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

My dad never talked about "Combat!" but I know for a fact that he watched "The Rat Patrol."

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't know if this was a universal thing, but I remember when we played War, if you were "killed" you waited a certain period of time -- say three seconds or so -- then you jumped up, shouted "New man!! New man!!" and you were back in the fight.

Seinfeld totally ripped us off..............

Draft saved Draft deleted