1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody Regularly Use Mass Transit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Aug 3, 2011.

1. baskethead

baskethead Member

Yeah, that's one thing I'm looking forward to. Also thinking about taking my computer and catching up on movies. With a schedule that has me up at 5 a.m. and pretty much falling asleep around 9, with a 4-year-old in between, I can barely get through 10 minutes at night before falling asleep.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I loved having the ability to go anywhere at anytime around NYC without having to worry about driving. Also, yeah, I got a lot of reading done that way and I'm going to miss having the ability to do that. I'm about to move about 15 miles outside a city with pretty good public transportation. However, because I'm in the suburbs, I looked and it will take me about an hour to get into the city by bus/rail. The drive would probably be like 25 minutes during non-rush hour times. So I'll have to decide if the extra time is worth it. I'll probably do a little of both, driving and public transportation.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For the past 4 years, I have taken the train from suburban NJ to Newark. At that point, I either take the PATH train to lower Manhattan, or if I'm going to my midtown office, another train to NYC and then the subway. Hate every minute of the commute. And I hate having to leave work at certain times to make a train, having previously walked to work for 10 years.

I have debated driving part of the way, which would allow me more flexibility in both ends of the commute, but the cost of parking is too much to justify.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If that message is true, then there is no excuse for improper sexual conduct.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Testify, sister HC! When I was commuting to work I got tons of reading done, both books and magazines. But then I left my job and the stack of unread stuff gets bigger all the time!

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Homer Jones when asked if the transit strike would affect him -- "nah man I take the subway "

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I live in Atlanta and attempt to take MARTA every day to work.

(Yes, really! You can live off of MARTA in Atlanta and it can go to some place you want to go. Haters gonna hate.)

I do it because Atlanta is full of the most drooling sub-moronic drivers in the history of ever, a hodgepodge of people going 100 and 30 on the same road. No thanks. I'd rather lean against a post and read a magazine on the way to work. Or take a nap.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What does the MARTA acronym stand for?

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Time is a major consideration. When it takes almost four times as long to go somewhere by mass transit (as was the case when I was in college) as it does by driving a car, I'll take the car every time. However, if the bus took 45 minutes and the car 30, taking the bus is worthwhile. But right now for work, I am required to have a functional vehicle with me, so taking the bus is not an option. Also I believe the bus system in my city closes for the night just before I finish work, so it doesn't work for me that way either.
    If having a car wasn't a requirement of my employment I would certainly consider taking it on a regular basis depending on the reliability and convenience of the system. With the price of gas, the potential savings are worth it in that regard. A tax break is always encouragement, but not sure it is necessarily warranted.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Or, as the locals say, MARTA

Moving A.. Oh hell, I'm not even going to say it

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted