1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody own a Honda Fit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Granny, Jun 11, 2008.

1. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I own a 1996 Honda Civic, HX model. Highway mpg: 45. City: 39. Honda actually stopped making the HX model in 2006 because it was getting to close to their hybrid Civic mpg.

The mileage is 185k and I bought it for $5k at around 88k. Best car I have ever had. No major repairs other than tires and the new battery. If you can get a used Civic, specifically the more fuel efficient HX model, that might be a better bargain.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

God I miss my old 99 Chevy Metro. That thing would get 50 mpg on the highway.

Of course, it was a 3-cyl. tin can that I would've died in had the accident been any quicker that the 25-30 mph the van was doing while I had just started moving.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Mazda3, followed relatively closely by the Civic, with the Corolla and Matrix far behind. None are bad choices, though -- you really can't go wrong. But here's my thinking:

Mazda3: Sportiest of the group; gets a little worse mileage than the others; most fun to drive of the group; the hatchback is very, very versatile; drives like a much more expensive car; if you're really ambitious, the Mazdaspeed3 is a screamin' deal and hauls ass like nobody's business.

Civic: Great mileage; will probably last forever; fun to drive, just not as much as the Mazda; some love the styling/interior, some hate it.

Toyotas: They're fine cars, but dull. Toyota has also cut corners in recent years; they're not built as well as they were a few years ago.

As always, a used car that's a couple years old is your best financial move.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I've got an '06 Mazda3 Sport and absolutely love it. I got it after test driving the Fit and Yaris, and chose it because it had a lot more power (roughly 40 HP, if I remember correctly) and a bigger trunk space. I noticed that power difference especially when passing at highway speeds.

That said, it cost me a good $7,000 more than a similarly equipped Fit would have. In retrospect I may have been smarter to go with the Fit, but the Mazda3 is so fun to drive I really don't regret the decision.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Fits are now going for MSRP or more, while you can still get discounts on the 3. The price difference isn't all that much.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mazda 3 five-door is rather nicer than the four-door, in my opinion. And the Corolla and Matrix (aka Pontiac Vibe) are now available with the 2.4-liter four-cylinder from the Camry. Same engine's also available in the Scion xB (Toyota's division aimed at GenY), which is a car I find very interesting.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Three years ago. Boy, were my arms tired. :D

It was definitely a Sunfire -- I have photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted