1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody out there using Max Preps???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Q Man, Oct 30, 2007.

1. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Just wondering.

We had a teleconference with them this afternoon. While we came away less than impressed with our contact there, we're intrigued by the possibilities for our paper. We cover 71 schools and this would give us a way to gather content on all of them.

It quickly became apparent to us that, in our case, their "game-night solutions" (i.e. the phoning, faxing, e-mailing of boxscores into the newsroom) would be pretty worthless. Curious to know if anybody is using their "game-night solutions" and whether or not they are troublesome.

On the other hand, I'm intrigued by the potential power of this site, with the ability to keep statistics on all 71 schools, etc. Any feedback there would be appreciated as well.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A few schools in our area post their stats on there, and it has made it a lot easier to track those down every week. Unfortunately, not everybody does it so we don't have the one-stop shopping that'd make life worth living. The schools that do use it can set it up so MaxPreps e-mails the stats right to you, too. It's great when it works (meaning, we've had issues with it here and there).
    As for their other stuff, I've never used it for more than gathering stats. Not even sure what the offer. I can say, though, that the web site can be a bitch to navigate. I had to hunt around for 30 minutes to find our schools, and even now I wouldn't be able to find it if I hadn't bookmarked those specific pages.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here in SoCal, pretty much every school uses MaxPreps.

We've tried to set up our own site to serve the same purpose, but it's a) time-consuming on our end with stats and such; and b) MaxPreps has the market cornered. If the schools already use it, it makes our job easier.

FWIW, I never try to navigate the site. I just use the search function on the home page to type in what school I need and go from there.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just an idiot. I've tried searching and still can't find what I need. Either I can't find stats, or get to a dead end page or something. I finally bookmarked the division's page, and use it to get to other divisions around the state. That works well.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

We use it, and base the weekly stats we run in the paper off the totals we get. We also have pages on our site that have maxpreps content.

The fact that we don't accept stats from anywhere else, eg. coaches faxing them into us as they did in the past, and use it as our record puts the onus on the coaches to make sure their stats are updated. If they're not, and parents complain, we can then refer them directly to the coach.

6. We have a few area schools who put their stats there, and it's handy for checking past results for teams not in our area and things like that.
    I'll echo those who say it's WAY too hard to find your way around on that site, but if you can find the information you need, it's great (I guess that's true for any site on the Web, though).

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I use it every week, though with a huge grain of salt. You certainly can't be guaranteed that the stats are completely updated. But we don't give them shit and have no plans to. They are, in essence, competition. It's difficult for your uber-local stuff to get usurped, but this has the power to do it.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ugh. Not if I can help it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know in Alabama, Montgomery does...

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I have found that, for some reason, the MaxPreps site is unusually slow. Takes a long time to move from page to page.

11. MaxPreps might be the slowest web site on the entire Internet. No joke.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When your area coaches use it, MaxPreps is a gift from God, especially with football and when the basketball postseason comes around. When your coaches don't report scores, you start to hate them.

Draft saved Draft deleted