1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody listening closely to MNF broadcast?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Vermeil was always good doing Big Ten games on ABC in the early 90's.

I'm surprised he never got more consideration when the NBC and ESPN gigs were up for grabs.

My dream booth? Al Micheals, Dan Fouts, Dick Vermeil. Lynn Swann on the sidelines.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ooooh, good idea. My dream booths:

- Baseball: Vin Scully, Bob Costas, Bob Uecker.
    - Hockey: Gary Thorne, Bill Clement (why oh why can't they just do every playoff game, no matter which network shows it?)
    - Football: (younger, less senile) Keith Jackson, (younger, less senile) John Madden, Cris Collinsworth.
    - Basketball: MARV!, Hubie Brown

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

My only problem with Gary Thorne is he mixes names up from time-to-time. I remember the in the Cup finals between the Stars and Devils, he kept up mixing up Belfour and Brodeur.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think I heard or read somewhere that he wasn't interested in the grind of a regular gig again. Maybe he'll change his mind...

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That was embarrassing and uncomfortable.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It was SO natural...

Please.... if there is a god, a big paper TV critic will write for tomorrow how these guys should be the ESPN's team and the Misfit Toys who were at FedEx should take a seat.

If the Washington Post were to write it, I would send the paper $100 tomorrow.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dierdorf in for Fouts. No sideline.

8. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

And let's not forget Bill Raftery...ONIONS!!! SEND IT IN JEROME!!!!

9. cortez

cortez Member

Back to the first game: At one point, Theismann said the the Jags were coming off their "big upset'' of the Cowboys on Sunday. WTF. Jax went 12-4 last year and were favored in the game

10. I can't have a hockey booth without John Davidson.
    Also the elder Jarrett, if I'm watching NASCAR.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Jason, you ought to know this better than anyone else: STOP PUTTING ENTERTAINERS ON TELEVISION! The only thing they know how to do is "act" their character, not show their true selves. Shame on ESPN for even thinking of putting two clueless nitwits on during halftime (Foxx and Arnold). If they had put Wilbon on and let him and Tony go after each other, all of SportsJournalists.comville would be happy.

Apparently, crap like that is what the viewers eat up and watch. ESPN had high ratings for both games.

Besides, Jamie Foxx wants to sing, and Arnold is more concerned about how to challenge Shawne Merriman to a weight-lifting contest.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Totally agree with that assessment. The guy's a natural in the booth.

Draft saved Draft deleted