1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody know anything about Key West?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you're a history buff Truman's Southern White House is in Key West and is kind of interesting. You should also do the touristy thing and get your picture taken next to the marker for the southernmost point in the continental U.S.

The old lighthouse doubles as a museum and climbing to the top gives you a pretty good view of the whole town. The land the lighthouse is on is the highest point in Key West - 38 feet above sea level.

See if you can buy a Key West High School Fighting Conchs t-shirt.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you hadn't, I would've had to myself.

The best thing to do in KW is . . . nothing. Get a cool rum drink, sit at a bar (in town or around the hotel pool or in the hotel pool) and just veg. There are some good restaurants there, but my problem is that I can't remember their names, although I could find them if I were there.

Just chill out.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OTD pretty much has it.

The beaches may be fine in the winter, but not so much in the summer. The reefs keep the waves from washing in like other beaches so you have basically stagnant, hot water with no waves.

More like a lobster boil than a beach.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We've been a little unsure about the beach on this trip. Temps are supposed to only be in the mid-70s next week, which may be a little cool. For those who have been there in the winter, is the water warm year-round?

And the do-nothing idea sounds like a good one. Neither the wife nor myself are heavy drinkers, so we skipped the bars last time around. But a margarita or something fairly light while people-watching may be fun.
    One thing we did last time, that was fun, was eat. I loved just wandering up and down Duval St. looking at the menus and picking something.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I am determined to get one of those.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the dry tortugas trip is worth it. but take the fast catamaran. It cuts the trip to 90 mins.

it's where Dr. Mudd became the prison doctor (Dr. Mudd of "the guy who fixed John Wilkes Booth's leg" and "Your name is Mudd" infamy)

on the way down, stop at the Seven Mile Grill (just before the Seven Mile Bridge) for a fish sammitch. Yum.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That would be a very cool t-shirt to have.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

http://www.keywest.com/restbar.html

Just read over some of the menus.

9. Big Key West fan, been many times.

The place you want to go is the Green Parrot. It's an open-air bar located a couple blocks to the South of the street with all the tourist places and restaurants. A lot of the locals hang out there and it's very, very casual. So casual that I remember a bar review about the island the Miami Herald did years ago, centering on how the reporter kept running into this dog and at the end of the day he discovered the Green Parrot and the dog was stretched out a corner.

Also, I don't know if he's still alive, but go to Capt. Tony's and try and meet the man himself. Amazing story teller. Last I heard he was something like 86, and his kids ranged in age from 66 to 16 (and that's no typo).

Finally, and you're going to think I'm nuts, check out the cemetery. It's full of crypts and the inscriptions are incredible. My favorite is: "I Told You I Was Sick."

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

And you should go to Sloppy Joe's and get a ... well, you know. They're delicious, and it's a good place.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You should never say "only" & "mid 70's" in January.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Very true, considering it's in the low 30s and freezing rain here today.

Draft saved Draft deleted