1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody know anything about Key West?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Pirate Soul is a very cool place. We went there last time. We'll have to see if they have anything new on exhibit before we go back this trip, though.
    Fort Jefferson is also something we want to do, but expense and time are both factors. It'd eat up a whole day heading out there and probably cost half of what we're spending for the whole trip already. Maybe one day, but not this trip.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a problem, shot. That's pretty much what you do in Key West.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sun, sand, water, drinking, Jimmy Buffet, fishing

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Buffett, with two Ts.

(Sorry, as a member of the Church of Buffett, Orthodox, I'm required by oath to correct that mistake.)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not really much sand. So you better add more drinking, Buck.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My bad.
    1. I'm not much of a Buffett fan.
    B. I've never been to Key West. I just assumed there was sand. Perhaps it's more like Guam, which has lots of beaches but many of them are fairly narrow compared to the wide beaches with which many are familiar in places such as California and New Jersey.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

III. Adding more drinking is always good with me.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sand's not too much the thing there, from when I've visited. The stuff to do, you do in the town.

Don't think I ever hit the beach there.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah, but there is a beach there, grasshopper. Couple of them, actually. The beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is smallish, but there's a two-mile stretch of sand along A1A called Smathers Beach that is a real live beach. City government has to replenish the sand every couple of years, supposedly by importing sand from the Bahamas. (Believe that if you wish.) You can snorkel just offshore; there's no surf to speak of. That said, be aware that if a lot of seaweed has washed up and started to rot, things can be rather pungent.

The Duval Beach Club (south end of Duval Street) is nicer and has a couple of restaurants. (Certain SportsJournalists.commers would enjoy that place just because they could have a cabana boy there.)

Let me guess, Mr. Wayne ... not a diver and no interest in trying it, right? :D

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

fort Zachary Taylor
    hemingway house
    the lighthouse
    captain tony's
    my blue heaven restaurant.
    schooner wharf bar

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fort Zachary Taylor is interesting if you're a history buff. Otherwise it's just sort of meh. They're working on full restoration, which when complete will widen the appeal.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not really. I like to see my fish in aquariums and on plates. I get in the water, I'm on their turf.
    Even if I did want to try, though, I wouldn't have done it on that trip. There was a tropical storm raging outside.

Draft saved Draft deleted