1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody know anything about Key West?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Forgot my favorite funny Key West anecdote.

As anyone who has been there knows, the place is lousy with wild chickens. They're everywhere. We discovered that one of their favorite places to gather is ... KFC. It's positively morbid. My buddy and I started calling them Key Fearless Chickens.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

On your way there, or leaving, hit the Morada Cafe for a dinner at sunset.

MM 88 or so, bay (north) side.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That's awesome! You should have gotten a picture ;)

4. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I did take pictures, but none as good as that one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Last time we went, one of the first things we saw upon arriving in Key West was a chicken wading out into a busy intersection. It inspired a dumbfounded "So that's why the chicken crossed the road" moment.

Last time, we actually had an extra day built into our schedule for exploring the rest of the Keys. We flew out of Fort Lauderdale, so we left a day early and drove back up to Key Largo. Well, that plan was scuttled by Tropical Storm Barry. Pretty much any outdoor exploration was ruined, as was a trip to swim with the dolphins at a park in Marathon. We got to Key Largo around 1 or 2 p.m. and were more or less stuck in the hotel. There's not a whole lot in Key Largo to begin with, and the place seems to shut down from 3 to 6 p.m.
    Worst. Vacation. Day. Ever.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Batman,

Problem with Key West is it is a great party, hang out, go fishing, diving, etc. place. If you are not doing those things, just wander and chill.

Hemingway house you need to do if you haven't.

I would look to sail on maybe a catamaran or something at sunset. That would be nice and romantic.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Spent a weekend in Key West a long time ago. Great time. Beats the hell out of the few other places I've been to in Florida--Clearwater, Fort Myers, Naples.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Key West is real, which is more than you can say about most of Florida. But Florida still does have some pockets of funkiness and authenticity.

The strip mall developers will soon fix that, though.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.piratesoul.com/

How about a day trip to Fort Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas? http://www.nps.gov/drto/

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a good idea, Inky. I've always wanted to do that.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Key West is where we found out my wife was pregnant. And we're going there in August for a weekend for our 25th anniversary.

I know I just want to set 3-4 hours aside to sit in one of those deliciously seedy bars and watch people go past.

Draft saved Draft deleted