1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody know anything about Key West?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Nope. Haven't been to the Castro District in SF, either.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I spent about 10 days there, but if you've already been I'm not sure there's much I can add. Some great state parks up the keys a little with tremendous beaches, and I liked the little preserve where you can see the Key deer up close. For some reason I really like the Key deer.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I liked Key West. I wish I would've toured Hemmingway's house, so maybe do that?
    We stayed at a Sheraton Suites, which was really nice.
    I didn't really notice the gay thing, other than the numerous rainbow flags all over the place. I can't recall the time of year I was there.

Oh, and people always look at me funny when I tell them there's really no beach there.

Have fun!

4. joe

joe Active Member

Go to The Bull, a bar at 224 Duval St. It's clothing optional.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I didn't much care for Key West, but I did think that Hemingway's house was cool so were the six-toed cats.
    We did the drive in and we stopped at some point in between and had drinks at some beach bar. That was really sweet.
    Get some key lime pie while you are there, mostly just to say you had key lime pie in Key West. The street performers weren't bad either and getting wasted on mojitos wasn't a bad way to spend the night, but all and all it was like going to just another bar district in some faceless town since nothing was on the beach.
    Well homeless city was on the beach, but that's another story.

6. Was there last week with Mrs. Treadly, stayed up near Key Largo but we had dinner in Key West at a place called Fogarty's on or near Duval Street. The ribs were excellent. Highly recommend using sunscreen as it currently looks like my face is peeling off.

7. Hemingway House is a must. The Mel Fisher museum is good, as well. It's next to Mallory Square, IIRC

8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Gay Day!

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I keep thinking the same thing when I see it, stang.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I appreciate Disney for being supportive of gays, but I've always seen gay day as being somewhat insulting. Like they wanna get the oddballs in on one day so they won't be visible the rest of the time.

As for the gay scene in Key West, I've never seen it as all that desirable cause of all the supposed drug abuse that takes place there. Not really my thing.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I have heard it's a beautiful place, though, so have a great trip Batman!

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Old information, but from an 18-month resident a while back:

The best black beans and rice I ever tasted. Ask around; I'm not sure where the best place is now. Downscale is better, stay out of the uppity joints for this dish.

If you like snorkling, walk out (a long way) to the dropoff and snorkle along the three foot ledge; many langouste, rock crab and cowrie shells. No worries on waterspouts this time of year. But the water may be cloudy.

Don't go snorkling in the seaplane channel; too many big barracuda. The ones out on the ledge are little fellas. Don't flash anything silver their way, however; just keep your diver's knife in the sheath.

Draft saved Draft deleted