1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody know anything about Key West?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The wife and I are heading to Key West for vacation next week. We went last year on our honeymoon and hit most of the museums and touristy sites, so I'm trying to find something else for us to do. So far, I've penciled in the cemetery and that's about it.
    We only have two days, and snorkeling or diving is out because of my wife's physical condition.
    Anybody been there/lived there who can recommend something off the beaten path? Or just something cool that's worth hitting more than once?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Channel Tennessee Williams' spirit, he may able to help you guys out.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I hope your wife isn't a TV reporter that can be easily persuaded to enter a wet t-shirt contest.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you've already been there and can't do the snorkeling and such, why go back?

5. My Dad is a HUUUUUUUGE Key West fan so I've been a few times. You should spend some time on Duval Street, which I'm sure you were planning on. Fat Tuesday's is where I had my first (legal) drink.

There is also an old fort you could check out. I think it's closer to the airport. And there's a state park with a really nice beach. It was crowded when I was there, but that was July.

watch sunset from Mallory Square. There should be some street performer's there. Will is good for a laugh.

Have a great time!

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because the wife loved it and has wanted to take another trip there ever since. And if the wife wants it...

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah. I haven't been there in a loooong time, but that was a very weird scene. There was a guy who would grab a grocery store shopping cart with his teeth and use his neck muscles to lift it over his head.

Key West was the gayest place I've ever seen. I don't mind, I have a few gay friends, but it was kind of jarring to see the public displays of affection on the sidewalks. I'd say Greenwich Village is ultra-conservative by comparison.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Gay Day
    I can beat it. Gay Day at Disneyland. Yep, that's a serious post.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I quickly read the thread title and thought it said Kanye West. I wanted so see funny Kanye West jokes. Now I'm just disappointed.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We did the Mallory Square thing last time, and probably will again this trip. The street performers are pretty entertaining. One guy did a flying leap over a bicycle and through a hula hoop just about big enough to get through. Neat.

Surprisingly, we didn't see a whole lot of the gay scene. A few folks who were obviously gay, but not the out-and-out (no pun intended) orgy it's sometimes portrayed as.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm guessing you've never been to Provincetown.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

If you're flying directly to Key West, there should be plenty of stuff within walking distance of where you're staying. The marina was a pretty neat place (check out the restored PT boat) and there are several restaurants along the waterfront.

If you're driving down from Miami, stop at some of the other islands along the way. Isla Morada is probably the most developed place between Key Largo and Key West, but all the little specks seem to have something of interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted