1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody here fairly determined to stay off Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where's Flash? I think she's getting big bucks to expertise herself in all this social media stuff.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

spnited is doing The Grumpty Grump.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

How does one "expertise" herself, Ace?

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Outstanding.

5. Songbird

Ask Mikey.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

So can I tell someone to go expertise themselves without being put on vacation?

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

YEAH! Writing letters to prison is a pain in the ass.

Seriously though, the majority of my "friends" on facebook goes like this. I get an email saying "Timmy wants to be friends", I click yes and in most cases that's it. Sometimes we'll exchange 1 email.....

Lugnuts, you're life will be just fine without Facebook, but it's pretty cool....unless you have a bunch of bitchy friends.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

spnited is sick and tired of everyone on here.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm the only person in my family not on it; not counting my mentally-retarded sister, I think. Of course, what do I know? It's not like I can search for her page.

This started when I was a junior in college, and I remember telling people, "I've got better things to do with my time." And back then, I actually did.

In reality, though, I didn't want to be part of a trend. I've always been like that. I go my own way with the way I dress, speak and think (most of the time). But mostly, I don't want people tracking me down.

The way I figure, the people I like know my phone number, e-mail addresses, mailing address and what I'm doing with my life because they mean enough to me to keep them a part of my life. I don't need more friends from my hometown because I'm only there three times a year. And I don't really care about them anyway. If I did, I'd know their information.

Sometimes I do think about a person or two and wonder, but I don't think I'd ever try to get in contact with them. We were friends a long, long time ago. My friends today are the same ones I had in high school -- plus a few from college -- so it's not like I'm missing many folks. Somewhere along the line, we decided to go our own ways for a reason(s), and I'm cool with that.

My brother-in-law and sister recently signed on, and they've continuously badgered me about joining -- as is their collective nature -- and that only further keeps me away. When someone says, "You need to join ...," I say, "Wanna bet?"

If people want to find me, they can just work a little bit harder.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thought of another utility. Had a friend get married a couple weeks back. Not my best friend, but a guy I keep in touch with, and a guy who I would have taken time off to go to his wedding.

But he and his bride ultimately decided to bag the church wedding and just take the wedding party to Mexico and get married on the beach.

Got to see his wedding photos on Facebook. Then, when we ran into each other in the bar, we didn't have to spend the entire time hashing over the small talk. (How was the wedding? Who all was there? etc.) I just say, "Yeah, saw the pictures, looked great! How are you?"

Anything that saves me bar small talk is a wonderful invention.

11. Songbird

spnited is choking on a bone.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

BYH is styling his rattail.

Draft saved Draft deleted