1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody here fairly determined to stay off Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's not a knock on anybody who does it, believe me.

For one thing, I've spent the last, oh, 10 years trying to protect my privacy and being told by employers never to post pictures of myself or personal information on the internet. So this goes against all of that.

But here's an example of what I've been told in the past week or so:

"My sister-in-law defriended me. Can you believe that bitch?"

"Some of my freinds' friends can see my photos of the kids even though I have all the privacy settings. What's up with that?"

"I keep getting friend requests from randoms."

"You should get on Facebook so we can friend each other."

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm on Facebook and use it more for e-mail purposes than anything.

I'm trying to distance myself from MySpace; the teenage girls in my town don't give me the time of day.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here's why I started. I heard a piece on the radio about recruiters looking for job seekers in this day and age and they say if they motivated or savvy enough to be on LinkedIn and/or Facebook, they usually dismiss them.

And being in the newspaper industry, I figured I better get on LinkedIn and Facebook.

But women are throwing snowballs at me on there, and I don't think they are recruiters.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All your Facebook are belong to us.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My Space - Creepiest site ever.

Facebook - Greatest site ever.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Wonderful!!!! :D

7. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Or, as the Granpda says, "Compared to Facebook, MySpace looks like the Robert Taylor Homes."

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's always fun getting shit from my girlfriend because some portly, craft-store-frequenting soccer mom from my high school graduating class found me on Facebook and sends me an unsolicited e-kiss or some absurdity.

I think I'll be doing the LinkedIn thing soon, since it seems to be mainly about work.

MySpace always made me feel like I was doing something wrong even though I wasn't.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Why do you hope it's a fad? You don't like people reconnecting with old friends?

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

You see, just like driving around the Robert Taylor Homes. The Grandpa is wise.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Luggie, your problem isn't Facebook, it's bitchy friends. 8)

And everyone here who said Myspace is a cesspool is correct. Steer clear. But Facebook is wonderful.

I'm on Twitter, but I don't see the point.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not 'determined.' I just have zero interest in it.
    I am not a greast stay-in-touch person, but I have contact info for most of the people I know. I drop a line or make a call every few years to say 'hi.'
    Those people for whom I don't have contact info, I can usually track down. I was a journalist for 15 years. I can usually dig up contact info on people.
    I just have zero interest in any of these social networking sites.
    Except SportsJournalists.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted