1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody here fairly determined to stay off Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Anybody else frustrated and feeling like a tool because everybody you know is on it?

Is it wrong of me to want nothing to do with it?

I don't want to get into 'friend' snits.

I waste enough time here.

Will I eventually cave?

Is Facebook a fad, or is this crap here to stay?

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

No. Because I'm on it.

No. Nothing wrong with wanting nothing to do with it, but it is awesome catching up with people you haven't talked to in decades.

If you get into "friend" snits, then it's time to find some new friends that act their age. Unless, of course, you're a high school girl.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But you can join the "Peechee" group.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Please don't join. I'm tired of old people like The Granny joining and requesting to be my friend.

jk. I love all of you people on Facebook.

I'm also not suggesting Lugs is old.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm on Facebook but I nuked my MySpace. I feel pressure to be on LinkedIn and Twitter but haven't succumbed, yet.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I've found it useful in my work, as I have re-connected with some people who have some pretty interesting stories to tell that I have no idea about.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is this because I told you I won't be your friend, Luggy?

The only people I have known who have a problem with it are either in the public eye or are single men who don't want women keeping dibs on them.

EDIT: Although if you are in the public eye, you can stay fairly private and just give access to people you friend.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was hesitant, Luggie, but I like it. Amazing how you can find people you haven't seen since grade school and such.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'm not on it, and see no reason to be. I'm with ya, Luggie.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Come on, Luggy. I'll be your first "friend." And, I promise, I won't snit.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just spent two days of my Thanksgiving break with a really good, really old friend who I never would have caught up with again if not for Facebook. (She moved overseas after college, bummed around Europe for a long time, no permanent address, etc.)

Stuff like that alone is why you should create an account. You don't have to spend a lot of time on it (though you probably will). But you'd be amazed at the people you forgot you knew.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

MrsExpendable has both Facebook and MySpace pages. I have no desire to mess around on them. I hope it's a fad, but doubt it.

Draft saved Draft deleted