1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody here driven "The Tail of the Dragon"?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Mar 12, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/Travel/article/188751

The truth is that there are drivers of sports cars and riders of motorcycles who plan entire vacations around this route. There are websites devoted to it, and videos on YouTube of the road taken with on-board cameras. Hwy. 129 has more than 300 curves in its 18 kilometres and is known as the Tail of the Dragon. And that's only the start of it

Bit of a road trip from here but sounds like fun. 300 curves in 11 miles? Wow.

Anybody here driven it?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nope. But have but been over those mountains off the interstate in different ways. I would not want to do it in the winter.

Sounds like fun, though.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Probably late April/early May when chance of snow is nil but all the touristos haven't overrun the highway.

Probably be fun to do it in a Mini Cooper.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

HC already envisioning the next road trip.

But you better let me drive, babes.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Once we get back on the interstate you're good to go. :)

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Isn't this the road where Dany Heatley wrecked his car?

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Did anyone else think this thread was about some new kind of psychedelic drug?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here is a video of some bikers riding the road. This clip actually made me a little ill.

http://moto.cled17.com/46

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I had images of 500-foot cliffs at the edge of the road. These are just trees. Meh.

10. Several times in travels to Neyland, visit the Streater family or my relatives. After two blown engines in a Triumph Spitfire in Maggie Valley, I take the scenic route more often.

The 21 miles of I-40 thru Maggie Valley at 80+mph is interesting. As an added boost to the "Thrill Show", try cutting your lights off for a second at night. With the Lucas electronics, you never know if they are going to come back on!! Like doing 80 in a closet.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Looks like an interesting road to try driving on. I wonder how pissed off the bikers will get if a car drives too slowly on it -- like the 30 MPH speed limit.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

California Highway 2 from La Cañada to Mountain High is like that through the San Gabriels — for 60 miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted