1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody from Texas know this chain of cinemas? ....Alamo.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 2, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.originalalamo.com/

Sounds like the coolest independent movie chain around.

Dinner served IN the theatre. Drinks. A real adult place.

Anybody here been to the theatres?

2. Until the Mexicans show up.

3. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I've been to both the Houston and San Antonio locations...it is as good as it sounds. You basically write down your order on a supplied pad of paper, and the ushers crouch around with tiny flashlights to collect them before and throughout the movie. The food is better than average (pizza/sandwich-type fare) and it's great being able to enjoy a couple of beers while enjoying a movie. Plus, enough cannot be said about being able to watch a movie with a more mature crowd (no loud babies, inconsiderate teens, etc.)... :)

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"I'd like 6,000 tickets for the 2:15 showing of 'Knocked-Up', por favor."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never been to the Alamo, but there is the Studio Movie Grill in Plano, where you can get dinner and a movie — all at once. Very cool date place.

Great place to watch games on TV, too — they show them on a regulation-size cinema screen in the bar.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Oh, the Alamo Drafthouse.

We're big fans, JR.

7. [​IMG]

Sorry, sold out.
    You no alamo, beeyotch.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

This basically nails it.

In Houston, there are now two or three other places competing by offering the same type of service.

The Alamo also gets you in your seats early by showing offbeat stuff before the previews -- old TV beer ads, old cartoons of Spiderman before a Spiderman movie, etc.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is this new? Indianapolis, and many other cities I think, had one of these for years with Hollywood Bar & Filmworks.

As for the Alamo, my bike is in its basement.

[​IMG]

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only drawback with the Alamo cinema is that only one person sneaks out of the theater alive.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Place called Chunky's in my neck of the woods that's based on the same idea. Been meaning to hit it up, but I haven't yet.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sorry. Can't seem to remember them.

Draft saved Draft deleted