1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody Fly ATA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://www.ata.com/

Well, you don't anymore.

ATA has shut down. Effectively immediately.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thank Christ...

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's different from AirTran, isn't it? I flew AirTran to Orlando and back a couple of years ago.

No complaints, other than the useless free earbuds the flight attendants pass out for XM listening. (Tip: Bring your own headphones.)

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I've flown ATA fairly often and been generally satisfied, except for one thing -- it takes frickin' forever to get the bags to the baggage carousel. No airline I've flown comes even close to being so slow.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Yes, it is different from AirTran. The best thing about AirTran was the $25 upgrade to first class. XM was a close second, though the channel choices were severely limited.

When we flew back from Seattle at Christmas, we were rolling for takeoff past all the aircraft waiting their turn. One of the planes we passed was an ATA DC-10 - not unlike this one - and I found myself thinking wow, I didn't think ATA had that many passengers to support a plane that big...

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I flew ATA a bunch of times. They had really reasonable last minute fares to Chicago. Most of the times I flew them, the planes were half empty, so it was pretty comfortable.

Sucks for the employees who lost their jobs.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

ATA flew a lot of routes to Hawaii and did a lot of charter work so I guess they'd need a few planes that size.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't ATA just form a partnership with Southwest to expand coverage?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I flew it a few times when I made the mistake of letting someone else book my flights for me... The paper saved $30, I was delayed several hours in Midway and got on a plane that makes what Southwest flies look brand new...

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Used to be a great option out of St. Pete when the airport had free parking.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

10 posts, and no atm jokes.

God, this place is slipping.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

St. Pete must be the only commercial airport left where you still walk onto the tarmac, instead of through a jetway.

Although with no ATA, does St. Pete have any airlines left?

Draft saved Draft deleted