1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody excited for this weekend?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, May 1, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Very nice, very nice IJAG :)

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

D_B_V - I'll be out there with ya, buddy. At least for Saturday - can't convince the wife to go both days (of course, she is eight months pregnant).

3. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I hate the Kentucky Derby almost as much as I hate the so-called experts who make a living analyzing the "careers" of four-legged animals.

Hate the fucking Derby. Hate. It.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I don't know if it's some sort of weird Barbaro hangover, but I REALLY don't give a shit about the Kentucky Derby this year.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I don't mind the horses running. That part is cool.

It's all the Bob Costas, etc BS buildup and the goofy hats and all. That stuff drives me nuts

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's called tradition.

Derby Day hats, mint juleps, "My Old Kentucky Home" ... it's a special atmosphere unlike anything else. One of the most unique sporting events in the world.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That's cool. I'm sure there are special cricket traditions, too. That doesn't mean I have to like them

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]

I can live without that tradition. That looks like a $100 version of something I could buy at the local Dollar Store.

My mom trained horses at a high level. I have all the respect in the world for the horses, the trainers and the jockeys.

It's the announcers (that is, Costas. I love Tom Hammond) and some of the fans that drive me nuts.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'm making my first trek to the Derby this weekend. I've got a good buddy who's shipping out to Iraq in 10 days, and this will serve as one last weekend of fun for him. He's a veteran of this thing, and he tells me the infield is one of the wilder places you'll ever be at a sporting event.

I'm looking forward to it.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Have fun, NS! :)

As much crap as I'm giving it, it is a very unique event, I'm sure.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Thanks, Rok. I'm sure I will.

And horse racing ain't my cup of tea, either. I'm always interested in seeing the 'biggest' events in certain sports, and this is definitely one. Plus it'll be good to send my buddy off to the desert having had a great time.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Awesome, man! Have fun. I'm sure you and your buddy will have a great time. Fun way to send him off! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted