1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody ever hired an architect?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Mrs. and I have decided it's time to build a detached garage. We bought an older home and a previous owner had turned the one-car garage into a den. So one of us parks under a carport while the other parks in the street.

I've looked and looked for plans for what we want. Yet nothing is right. Our list seems pretty simple to me but none of the blueprints I've found for sale at the home stores or online are right.

So I'm thinking of hiring an architect. But I have no idea the costs involved or if one would even do a job that small.

Or should I just hire a contractor, give him my wants list and let him figure it out?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hear Art Vandelay is quite good.

3. Damn, Mikey beats me to the punch.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's all I've got, Friend. Please don't take it away.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Inky, chances are if you go to a contractor he's going to talk with an architect anyway. At least that's what my old roommate did, and he's a pretty damn good carpenter. But he had an architecht he worked with to do that.

6. Giggity

Giggity Member

A lot of times, they take a percentage of the project cost. And you're probably better off finding a contractor first, then asking them to recommend an architect. They usually have people they're comfortable working with, and if you find a good contractor – which is critical – you'll be able to trust them on the architect pick.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

His addition to the Guggenheim was excellent.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What's that on your shoe, canvas?

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

"One cannot but wonder at what brought you into a crummy coffee shop like this."

"I like to keep in touch with the people."

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, the big race? Yeah, I remember it. I'll never forget that day. It was when I lost my virginity to Miss Stafford.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I remember we were even for like 500 yards, and then boom you were gone.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You see? Now do you believe me?

Draft saved Draft deleted