1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody ever covered a hurricane?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Aug 17, 2007.

1. CanzanoJohn

CanzanoJohn New Member

The text message tip made me smile. Love when tech does what it's supposed to do.

2. I'm back! Thank you all, again, for your concern for my safety. As a couple of you have noted, it wasn't as bad as forecasters had expected.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Shows you how a tiny change can make a massive impact. Had Dean wobbled a few degrees north a few hours before it made its pass at Jamaica, Kingston would have gotten Cat 4 winds. If Dean spent more time going WNW instead of due west when it did, Cancun or Cozumel could have eaten a Cat 5. Or Chetumal or Belize City if it spent less time going north of due west. And if the upper-level low was able to draw Dean more NW, then maybe it shoots through the Yucatan Channel and into the Gulf as a Cat 5, with low shear and 85-degree water with high heat content leading it to Houston or New Orleans.

Instead, Erin and its unexpected regeneration over Oklahoma City might end up being a deadlier situation than the storm that was the third strongest at landfall in Atlantic Basin recorded history. Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted