1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody ever covered a hurricane?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's a tremendous post, filled with utility.

2. Thanks so much, everyone.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Peanut butter and water, both of which you can live on if necessary. Get a couple of big jars. Bread would go moldy but you could have a sandwich for a few days.

Hershey chocolate bars, for the sugar and comfort.

A multi-tool with screwdrivers, knives and pliers is a good idea. Gerber makes a good one. They have a sheath so you can put it on your belt. Extremely handy.

The Fix-A-Flat is a great idea for your vehicle's tool box or emergency kit.

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I'd recommend a weapon (Gun, Pepper Spray, whatever) if you're going to be traveling with all these supplies out in the open.

Never know when some desperate man would kill you for your bottle of water or a chocolate bar.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wear a windbreaker... ;D

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

[​IMG]

Give my regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. AliceBrenda

AliceBrenda Member

Carry cash or keep it somewhere handy and secure. Chances are ATMs won't be working, and they won't/can't take credit cards.
    Possibly too late in this case, but a satellite phone will overcome communication problems.

8. i have no tips because ive never even been close to a hurricane before..
    just wodnering how you feel going into it? buzzed? nervous? adrenaline pumping?

9. times38

times38 Member

Have plenty of canned food, batteries and a large ice chest with plenty of bottled water.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hurricane Gloria in '85, for a twice-weekly with a Monday production day after Glo kissed the Ocean State on Sunday. Had to do most of my work from home - my folks' house had power, but the office didn't get it back til later in the afternoon.
    Had to listen to a lot of "this is nothing" from my parents, who were toddlers during the '38 hurricane (the standard by which we Rhode Islanders measure tropical catastrophe).

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've never covered one, but if you're headed into a Cat 5 situation in essentially what can be called a poor Third World country, you're taking a huge risk.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

People in Jamaica have no conception of a four-way stop even if the power's not out.

Draft saved Draft deleted