1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else thinking of John Lennon tonight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colonel Angus, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

It was 30 years ago tonight that John Lennon was shot and killed by a mentally ill assailant.

I was in junior high, didn't watch MNF that night, so I didn't hear about it until the next day. But I still remember one of my best friends coming up to me before first hour and telling me what had happened.

My appreciation for what was lost that night has, as you would expect, gone up exponentially and continues to do so the older I get.

Where were you? What did you think?

2. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Sorry, did NOT see the 70th birthday thread. Apologies.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was 10 years old and in sixth grade.
    It was a big topic in school the next day. I remember the day at school well. I don't recall knowing about it the evening it happened.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

ESPN this afternoon had a special segment on the Monday Night Football broadcast, including the conversation off air when they were deciding whether to go live with the news while the Patriots were kicking a winning field goal.

Cosell thought that it wouldn't be possible to work it into the broadcast, but he was overruled, and then nailed it.

I actually got a little teary watching it, and I was too young to remember, but am a pretty big Beatles and Lennon fan.

Sometimes it pops in my head that John Lennon was murdered in cold blood while returning to his apartment, and I just shake my head about how fucking senseless that is.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The next day, my 6th grade teacher started to talk about John. He put Imagine on a little record player, broke down crying and left.

6. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I was two.

I don't remember anything about it.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Saw the Pats-Dolphins game when Howard broke the news. Numbing, even for a kid who just turned 14.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was old enough (9 at the time), but I just vaguely remember it.

My mom, the big Beatles fan in the house, was more of a McCartney fan.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was 11 and vividly remember Howard's announcement. Seeing the off-air commentary, the Giffer interview and then watching a few times Howard's pronouncement ... wow.

And yah, Howard nailed it.

Dead

on

arrival.

So chilling, even to this day.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Is there a link to any of that mnf stuff you just mentioned?

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

^^there's at least the link to Howard Cosell during the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted