1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else sick of the ribbons for every cause?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Apparently there are people criticizing Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski for not wearing a light-blue ribbon remembering UNC student-body president Eve Carson at the UNC game like this:

[​IMG]

I despise Duke and much as anybody, but have no problem with Krzyzewski not wanting to wear a light-blue ribbon during the game.

I might be in the minority, but I'm sick of the fact that there is a ribbon for every cause and if you're not wearing a ribbon, you must not care about that certain cause. Or if you wear a ribbon, you care more. Bull.

I'm as sad about Eve Carson's murder as anybody, but I'm not going to wear a light-blue ribbon. I have a son who is high-fuctioning autistic, but I'm not going to wear one of those puzzle-piece ribbons. And you can be damn sure that anybody who wears one of those ribbons doesn't care any more about the fight against autism than me.

I have no problem with anybody wearing them for whatever reason. But to me, it's just symbolism and I wouldn't feel any better about myself if I wore any of these ribbons. And I seriously doubt that somebody is going to be motivated to contribute money to a certain cause just because they see somebody wearing a ribbon.

It is true that the proceeds from the sale of the ribbons go toward the cause in most cases and that certainly is a benefit. If I'm so inclined, I'd rather just contribute money.

I'm also never going to put one of those ribbon magnets on my car.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Believe me, I can see your point.

However, I smile every time I see a Livestrong bracelet. I'm a cancer survivor.

As for Coach K, his decision not to wear a light blue ribbon is his decision. I hate Duke also, but that's not one of the reasons. For all we know, he could have expressed his condolences privately to the family of Eve Carson.

If it comes out later that he was simply being insensitive toward her in an attempt to snub North Carolina, then he should rightfully be skewered. But I highly doubt that's the case.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

[​IMG]

These guys disagree.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

To crib from Mitch Hedberg, if you are against ribbons, how do you show it?

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That's another aspect I hadn't thought of. I guess it also makes others feel better to see that others are concerned about their cause. And I'm glad you're around to smile when you see the bracelets, forever_town!

I think Duke was classy with all that it did before the game. And I don't understand anybody who really thinks that Kzyzewski isn't sad about Eve Carson's death just because he didn't wear the ribbon. I've read that Krzyzewski does a lot of nice things off the court and likes it better when he doesn't get the credit for it in public.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yes, and have been sick of it for years.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Likewise.

I have been told by some that I should wear a Livestrong bracelet in honour of my father. I've told those people they're nuts and they get all offended.

I very quietly make my annual donations to cancer research and I honour my father by thinking about him often and remembering his strength, passion, and intelligence.

I don't need to put that on display for everyone to know how I feel. Frankly, it's none of your damn business.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I was thinking of marketing a car-cling ribbon that says "Support supporting causes"... I'm not sure what the color scheme would be...

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I saw one (I swear!) that said, "Support our Storm Troopers", with little pictures of Star Wars storm troopers around the ribbon. I laughed. Was that wrong?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted