1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else pulling football tab all-nighters this week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Happily, I've been able to spread the work so I haven't had to pull an all-nighter for a couple years. Now I've been working at least 12-hour days for the past two weeks, but at least I get to go home, sleep, change clothes and shower.
    And that, my friends, is progress.

2. Speedfreak

Speedfreak New Member

What's a football tab? Ours (we did preps, colleges and pros) were bagged a few years ago when they were deemed unprofitable (after being the newspaper's biggest money-making sections for years). Now we provide maybe a 10th of the material and fold it into the regular sports section.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Our tab printed Tuesday. No need for all-nighters this week.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My concern tonight will be mainly proofing, which is progress.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Not this week. But soon. Last year, we had enough staff that I was able to spend an entire shift just on our tab. Not the case this year. I'm gonna have to do it on an off-day (actually, mgmt will probably want me to do it during my regular shift -- wouldn't surprise me). Either way, it will be a good time.

6. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I haven't done a tab in several years. My last paper didn't do any kind of special section. We just ran features/previews throughout the week leading up to the first Friday.

At my current shop, we just printed our two zoned preview sections. They were four-pages apiece with full-page ads on the back for a coverage area that includes 36 football teams in one state and 23 in the other.

7. pa writer

pa writer Member

I start putting ours together Sunday, which will mean three hellish nights. That, and I have a 6-month-old at home who I take care of because my wife is back at work, meaning not only late nights at the office, but early nights in the nursery.

Is it Wednesday yet?

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Kansas preps don't start until Sept. 5, so my tab isn't for another 2 weeks. However, I always get terrified that the coaches are going to piddle around with my surveys until it's too late. It did happen two years ago for a basketball tab. One boys' coach mailed it back late enough it arrived the day after it printed.

If the surveys all arrive on the same day, say the morning before the tab is supposed to go to press, then yeah, there will be an all-nighter. But I can take the next day off because no other sports are at home on that Thursday.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mailed it?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Let's seeeeee. The week's played out like this.

Saturday: 4 p.m.-2 a.m.
    Sunday: 3 p.m.-2 a.m.
    Monday: 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
    Tuesday: 10 a.m.-midnight
    Wednesday: 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m.

It's been worse.

11. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, I had a couple of days that dipped slightly into the a.m. hours ... but a few double digit days is not bad. I've had many that went way, way worse and lasted for a week or more.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Same. I consider it a good year if I never reach that panic moment of "Holy shit, I've got to kick it in now."

Draft saved Draft deleted