1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else pulling football tab all-nighters this week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 21, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Just askin'.

2. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

I will. Our deadline is next Tuesday, it'll run on Friday. I've pretty much got all my info, quotes and stats, just need to actually write up the stories (four team previews, one huge feature, and three inside story writeups). Hopefully I'll have it done by Sunday so I can use Monday to edit and have all my copy in within plenty of time so I can edit my staff's stories as well.

3. HejiraHenry

Oops. I see there's already a Football Tab thread.

Maybe I'll mosey over there ...

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Henry...you should call it a night, head over to the bar and, in honor of the Olympics, order a Sapporo. Wait. What?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

golly.....

My prep editor is pulling all-nighters... my stories will be finished in the morning.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

We've been doing it progressively but we're putting it all together tomorrow. I did all of the proofing and some cutouts tonight while we were waiting for a few things to get done so it should be fairly painless. The only thing is: it has to be ready to go before they print anything else tomorrow and me and my boss both have games to cover, not to mention the regular paper to put out.

But it's football season. It's so close I can smell it! I don't even care, it means something other than soccer and Little League baseball to cover.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

I pulled two all-nighters and finished our 40-page broadsheet a day early... my life can now resume (such as it is, anyway).

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The worst 30 hours of my prep editing career were those putting the final touches on our nine zone sections in 1992. Hurricane Andrew was destroying South Florida, so all of my "help" from other designers was no longer available. Then, when the final button was pushed, I had to wait around three hours for the press run .... correct the major f-up ... and then finally got home.

9. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Yep, left after midnight last night and I'm about to go back in now. It's only gonna get worse. But hey, I love it.

10. HejiraHenry

The major f-up always is an issue.

Several years ago, when our page administration software was different, a blank half page "snuck" past everybody and got on the press. It was buried way inside, but still.

We stopped, filled it real quick and rolled on.

I'm pretty sure that can't happen now. (hah)

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Our sections were zoned big-time, and we had a zone that left out the one of the largest schools in the area, if I remember right... even though it was teased on the cover.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Our 1985 section had 1984 folios.

Didn't get caught.

Draft saved Draft deleted