1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else kind of finding Sam Zell an interesting figure?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Looks like straight-talkin Sam suddenly became a devotee of HR bureaucratic BS.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He said many of the cuts were going to come in HR, finance and other non-journalism areas. A lot of times, those staffs are wicked bloated. (Of course, I'm sure someone in HR feels differently, but compared to the newsroom staffing situation, they have it easy.)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Keep telling yourself that.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Trib-wide cutbacks paint Zell as an uncaring bastard. He may think he has to shrink the business before growing it in areas. I still think his strategy will work in the long run, but the short-term poison of more lost jobs paints a bad picture.

Kind of reminds me of when Larry Tisch bought CBS. He swore up and down "oh, no no, I'm not cutting anything". The next two cutbacks were the worst in CBS history.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm hoping that. Don't wanna see friends out on their behinds.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And guess who was working there at the time, wicked?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know. Randy gutted both companies.

Draft saved Draft deleted