1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else headed out to HP 6 tonight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 14, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, the LOTR folks. There were people who dropped hundreds of dollars on Arwen dresses and other elven clothes.

After that, the Star Trek folks. I can't fathom paying $10 to watch a movie with a Klingon mask on, yet I've seen lots of people do it.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I will, at this point, neither confirm nor deny whether Mr. and Mrs. Stain attended the midnight showing of Order of the Phoenix dressed as Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

SC will neither confirm nor deny that Mr. and Mrs. Stain just jumped up on her list of favorite SportsJournalists.com couples she's never met.

5. RickStain

Just got back from the movie. I always get to movies insanely early, but this one was packed 30 minutes before it started, we barely got in at all.

My thoughts:

1) The main three still can't act
    2) The guy who plays Dumbledore had a completely different personality this time, and it's still not right.
    3) They did as good a job as could have been done cramming everything important into a 2.5 hour movie.
    4) There were some neat special effects
    5) They had a couple nice moments added to the movie that weren't in the books, but worked well.
    6) Most of the adult actors did an excellent job, and were well-cast to look like their characters (although the Emperor as Slughorn threw me a bit).

In other words, it was exactly like every other Harry Potter movie so far.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know who I'm impressed by? Tom Felton, who plays Draco Malfoy.

I feel like I'm looking at a young Malcolm McDowell.

7. RickStain

I thought he went a little over the top, but I couldn't tell if he was doing it intentionally (which would make it good acting), or his bad acting just happened to fit the part, sort of like Luna Lovegood's actress.

8. I always thought Felton was the best of the young actors in the series (hogwarts students) but felt he struggled with the more complex role this time around. He just wasn't believable to me, where in the past - as just an obnoxious slytherin - he really captured that. More was asked of him in this film and I just thought he didn't pull it off.

Harry/Ron/Hermione have all improved to the point where they're capable actors now.

But Rickman as Snape steals the show. He's brilliant.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Saw it with some friends last night. Theater was about 4/5ths full, which made holding eight seats LOTS of fun. But at least nobody was dressed in HP regalia. One day, they're going to make a furry movie, and I will unknowingly go to the theater to see another movie, and I will see the fans of the furry movie and ... I think I will kill myself with the popcorn popper.

Movie was fine for someone who only has a surface knowledge of the series. I didn't have the emotional investment of those around me, but I was entertained enough. The store the two brothers ran reminded me an awful lot of the F.A.O. Schwartz in Boston, for unknown reasons.

I was tempted to scream out the ending, since that was an internet meme of some consequence when the book came out, but everyone probably knew what was going to happen anyway (spoiler -- everyone dies).

Pretty long movie. Something like 2 and a half hours. My butt hurt.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As long as there's a meme.

Draft saved Draft deleted