1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else having DirecTV problems?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I had the same problem. In fact, I had to reset the receiver twice and it reset itself later in the day while we were watching.
    Still, I'm glad to hear it's a problem they are aware of and not just my receiver screwing up. It's only about a month old.

2. I haven't had the same troubles as some of you were mentioning, but I was flipping through games on Sunday when I stumbled accross a message ont eh Eagles game that said something to the extent of "The sattelite signal is out right now because of sunspots. . . . wtf???? All otgher games were fine. either way, it fixed itself within two minutes, and I second all of those who applaud DTV customer service. Wonderfully good. Cable can go suck an egg. Unless they get Sunday Ticket, of course. :)

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Snoopy---that's weird that it takes 4 seconds to change the channel. I have maybe a 1 second delay when I use the Up/down arrow, but nothing that I can't live with. I tend to change channels from the guide, or I punch in numbers.

I have the old Direct TV w/ TiVo box, which I love. In the last 1-2 weeks, I've noticed a quick green screen and some pixelation. I just had my 2nd tuner repaired so I don't think it's the box. Haven't paid enough attention to say whether or not it happens on live TV or recorded programs.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Wait until you try to drop their service. Things take a turn, from my experience.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dish Network fought me hard to keep me from switching to DirecTV, but the incentives and overall better quality (imo) of DirecTV were too much to pass up. I was even prepared to pay the remaining months on my Dish contract, but they missed out on free money and never charged me.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I love DirecTV. I have rarely had a problem and it takes one helluva storm to make my signal drop.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And the signal drops for a short time. Once cable goes out, its out. No comparison.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Trooper, not meaning to diminish whatever unpleasantness you went through, but when we switched from cable to DirecTV, our cable company refused to answer any phone or on-line attempt to disconnect their service. I stacked the cable boxes in a corner of the living room, and quit paying the bill. Four months later, a burly guy shows up at the front door to repossess the boxes. I point to them and say, "Those? The ones we haven't used for months? You're welcome to them after you give me a receipt for them."

It was a customer service exchange that actually left me gleeful.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Have had DTV for 9 years and would never go back to cable. Have had Sunday Ticket for all 9, called up and asked about getting Super Fan for free, and they gave it to me, $100 value.
    They even gave me a $10 monthly credit for a year because our locals weren't in HD when they said they were going to be.
    And they're getting the MLB channel on Jan. 1 (as are a lot of the cable companies) and since they already have the NHL Network, we'll be getting Canuckistan's favorite program on Sat. nights.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Biggest problem I have is that Sunday Ticket's too damn expensive. Haven't had to reset any of the receivers lately.

Anybody checked out the Weather Channel lately? Local on the 8s is actually local now. 8)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I can't get the local variant of Fox Sports Net without a dish. I understand why the cable company is having an issue with NFL Network ... but not being able to get FSN Florida on cable is breathtaking stupidity.

Can't get HD versions of Speed Channel, Versus, Golf or CNBC without a dish here, either.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't even get REGULAR Speed on my cable here. Good thing I don't care any more! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted