1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else having DirecTV problems?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 6, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You can't get Versus in my world without a dish. Just saying.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My main-floor receiver never has problems, but I have to unplug my basement DirecTV receiver once every week or two. No idea why that is, but the extra 15 min it takes to reboot doesn't kill me. And I love DirecTV far too much to even think about getting rid of it.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Walking outside to take a shit never killed me; but when we got indoor plumbing I didn't complain.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Um, thanks Granny.

Damn...rereading Inky's first post...six months of sports pack for a complaint? OK, now I'm calling the next time I have to reboot.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

anyone have their HD package? What;s a realistic price for their package with all the HD channels (not counting the HBO/Skin/Starz...)

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

sunday night, my plasma HD went out when the Angels had the bases loaded and Beckett was pitching to Juan Rivera. I'm told he walked to force in a run. The little TV in my office still worked. The plasma had to reset itself, took 5-6 minutes. A times during the games, commercials would flash on for just a second or two, then the game would come back.
    This afternoon when I flipped on the Tampa-Chisox game, the plasma had to reset itself again..
    And it seemed like the sound and picture weren't in sync, a fraction of a second apart. It wasn't too distracting during the game action, but the interviews were terrible when their lips were moving before the words came. Noticed it only on TBS. Not on any other channels.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The HD channels that have a standard-definition equivalent are included in any package. There are a few that don't have equivalents. It's $5 a month to get those (HD Net, Universal HD, Smithsonian, MGM HD, etc.)

Here's my bill:

Current Charges for Service Period 09/10/08 - 10/09/08
    09/10 10/09 PLUS HD DVR Monthly 72.99
    09/10 10/09 SPORTS Monthly 12.00
    09/10 10/09 DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK Monthly 4.99
    09/10 10/09 Setanta Sports Monthly 14.99
    09/10 10/09 DIRECTV DVR Service $5.99/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00
    09/10 10/09 DIRECTV on DEMAND -Complimentary 0.00

Fees
    09/11 Leased Receiver 4.99
    09/11 Primary Leased Receiver 4.99

Adjustments & Credits
    09/11 Primary Leased Receiver -4.99 Credit

Taxes
    Sales Tax 0.43

AMOUNT DUE $110.39

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

By the way here's the explanation from DirecTV Web site:

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not that I'd encourage dishonesty, but the ease of which the CS rep handed me the freebie makes me think anybody could call and get something as well.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've had DirecTV a little more than two years now and I've found the customer service to be ridiculously good - perhaps the standard bearer. We've had minor issues here and there but I always get a real person quickly and it gets fixed quickly.
    No free sports pack, however.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Sometimes the problem lies in the dish itself. A year ago my parents had major issues with their DirecTV service. They weren't receiving many channels and the ones they did receive were prone to excessive picture freeze and pixelation. Turns out the dish was the culprit and not the receiver. There was a hairline crack in the dish [probably from one of those Texas hail storms] and water had gotten into the dish and caused things to go screwy. The dish was replaced [at no charge] and everything has worked fine since.

12. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I've had DTV for 10 years, and yes, the customer service is great. I have had a problem with blanking out the last few days. Each time it's happened (twice), it came when I was done watching a recorded show on the DVR and tried to get back to live TV. I had to unplug the box and go from there.
    The one thing I don't like about DTV is when you change a channel it takes like 4 seconds for it to change. I want instant channel changing, damnit!

Draft saved Draft deleted