1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else have a problem with this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Aug 8, 2008.

1. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080807-lou-canellis-chicago-bears-sideline,1,583982.column

Canellis attended his first Bears game on Sept. 6, 1968, after his godfather willed season tickets to him. You will forgive him if he can't recall details of the game, which was played at Wrigley Field. He was 4.

Canellis went to game after game, 114 straight, and felt compelled to flee the press box as the Bears blew away New Orleans in the NFC Championship game nearly two years ago. He watched the final quarter standing in an aisle in the south end zone.

"I was sitting near [WLS-Ch. 7's] Mark Giangreco and I told him: 'I'm too much of a fan,' " he recalled. " 'I have to cheer.' "

-------------

This man is leading a station's Bears coverage? I know broadcast and print have different standards, but this is ridiculous.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

From what I read, he's hosting pre- and post-game shows, and co-host some other highlights shows. It's not like he's an anchor.
    Unless he is. i mean, I don't know Chicago.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

From Greenstein's column:

"And just like that, the man associated with the Celebrity Bulls of the '90s— Michael Jordan playfully snapping him with a towel while he waited for a postgame interview—found a new identity."

Enter Beavis and Butthead laugh here, thank you.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Seems like what you said: the differing standards of broadcast and print.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You mean TV guys aren't supposed to root for the hometown team!?!

6. It seems to happen a lot in Chicago. I remember seeing WGN's Mark Rosen wearing a White Sox World Series champs hat on camera ... on the field ... as the celebration was going on. It was the same hat handed out to the players and coaches.
    During Illinois' run to the Final Four a few years back, it was pretty common to see the TV reporters wearing U of I garb on air while reporting from the arena.
    Ridiculous.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dunno, it happens everywhere... There's a guy in Detroit whose a Damn Shame who I know needs a Kleenex to meet his chin after certain interviews. This other guy smiles a lot when he sucks up too..

8. You're probably right. I'm sure it's going on in most markets to an equal extent. But to be wearing team apparel on air seems to be a bit worse to me than smiling a lot.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he's a fucking TV guy, what do you expect?

10. Honestly, I have no idea why it bothers me. I expect it from TV guys, yet I still get mad when I see it.

11. KG

KG Active Member

At least he leaves the press box to cheer.

Draft saved Draft deleted