1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody Else Hate Fall?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fall is by far my favorite season by far perhaps because it's marks the start of football. Fall for me also seems to be a time of contemplation more so than any other season. For whatever reason it's definitely the most emotional of the season's. Two of the most haunting songs I know are Hazy Shade of Winter and California Dreamin. Both describe the feelings of the fall perfectly.

Labor Day used to mark the start of fall season and growing up I always found that day depressing since it was time to get back to school and the only thing in TV was the Jerry Lewis telethon. At least now we have plenty of tv options.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love the fall. Summer is too hot for me. I prefer fall clothes - I love boots and sweaters. I think I might have Seasonal Affective Disorder for summer. I'm in a much better mood when it's cooler out. I don't like winter either, though. I wish it could be fall all year 'round.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Jerry Lewis telethon, it's now neither:

http://mdashowofstrength.com/

What was once a glorious 21-hour clusterfuck of C-list celebrities and Tall Cedars and timpani rolls at every $1 million mark is now as long as an episode of Monday Night Raw.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Attaboy!!! You've raised a good kid, Moddy.

Boom- Amazing. Those are the two "classic" songs I detest most in this world.

I guess there's something wrong with me, because everybody else seems to love fall. What's really odd about this is that I don't hate winter. Last January I knocked the Sundance Film Festival off my bucket list. Park City in January is Heaven on a hot buttered, chocolate-flavored stick.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I spend most of spring crying because of allergies.

Also, "A Hazy Shade of Winter": Simon & Garfunkel or Bangles?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Raking leaves? Y'all are nuts. Get a mower with mulching capabilities and turn those leaves into fertilizer for the lawn.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But even if the two areas were equal in size, it would seem to me that shoveling snow takes much more effort than pushing a lawn mower. Also, you're probably doing it wrong. :)

I'll mow your lawn if you shovel the snow at my place. Deal?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Time, time, time, see what's become of me
    While I looked around
    For my possibilities
    I was so hard to please
    But look around, leaves are brown
    And the sky is a hazy shade of winter

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That certainly works, although I don't like the way it looks. I like a nice, clean yard without the mulched leaves.

Last year, I went to Lowe's and bought one of those leaf blowers that doubles as a vacuum. That also does the trick. Way more fun, too.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I hate all seasons equally.
    It's not really the weather as much as it is the people.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I went on a date like that about ten years ago. He took me to the Central Park Zoo. The polar bears were fucking. I think they were both male.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not trying to start shit, but I think climate change has fucked up the seasons in a way. It's like most of the seasons have backed up a month. It's good in some ways, bad in others.

Fall, as we think of it, to me, would really get kicking in October and continue through to late November.

However in the last few years, it seems to me that we maintain summer heat well into October. We don't truly get "fall weather" until mid-to-late October.

Then we have fall weather through November and all the way to early December. Our trees don't completely drop their leaves until then.

Then we get this sort of in-betweeny annoying "winter lite" through late December and into January.

If we get a winter punch at all, it usually occurs in mid-January, and for some reason, our worst winter weather in recent years has been in early February.

Spring is the only season that's really held to form. Spring weather here can happen in early March, but usually doesn't become consistent until late March.

But when we have "real" fall weather, I love it. I'm a 55-degree rainy day kind of guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted