1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody Else Hate Fall?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 28, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out how anyone could think that. Please explain this nonsense.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

True, but you know she's just stopping by the party to blow the bartender for a bottle of Grey Goose Pear and to use the bathroom. Makes no pretense of staying.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lugnuts,

Can't agree with you on this one. Autumn is a fun season. Summer does not agree with me ... gets a little too warm a little too often. That's no one's fault but mine, but there's a big difference between sweating because of an extra session on the bike and sweating because your body doesn't cool as easily as some others.

And I kinda like Halloween. though the excessive buildup to it can go away. Then again, that's the case with probably every holiday.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, there was that. Harvard game. I was tailgaiting on the other side of the bowl when it happened. That's why they're not allowing the corral of U-Haul trucks this year.

Go up to Lyman Orchards and pick apples with your kids, instead.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You need to move where the weather suits your clothes.

But after another record-breaking summer heat wave and $250 electric bills and drought, I'm ready for fall this year. But when it gets here, I'll be wishing it was still summer when I'm pulling on the fleece.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Fall doesn't really bother me, Lugnuts, except it is the opening act before Winter. I HATE Winter (It really isn't any longer than the other seasons, but brother, does it feel like it because of the weather).

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm with ya 21. We'd hit it off great. TS Elliot sums it up perfectly:

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
    Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
    Memory and desire, stirring
    Dull roots with spring rain.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I love Fall and always have - it feels clean, to me. What's changed for me is that I now love pretty much every season. Used to hate summer because heat was a problem for me when I was heavier but now I rather enjoy getting on my bike and working up a sweat. I love winter, especially when it snows. I think spring is my least favourite - I don't hate it but when the rain hits it does remind me of growing up on the We(s)t Coast.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Even though the winds of autumn can be a pirate I love the fall.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Come here often? Can I buy you a drink or something?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I hate the winter. Because it's fucking cold. It's that simple for me. I'll take the shitty weather with the good weather in the spring and the predictably mediocre weather in the fall.

I don't have children (can you imagine that?), which inevitably skews my worldview. I have to think part of having kids and hating the fall is that you get to see your kids less but still have to do the same amount of shit for them. I am against packing lunch. If the kid wants to pack lunch, he should do it himself.

And take the bus. No parent should be forced to pick up or drop off a kid older than maybe 7 or 8. There's that awkward goodbye, where the kid knows his friends might see him get a kiss from mom, but mom is like, "Fuck you, kid. I dropped you off. I should get a fucking kiss." And the mom is right, but so is the kid. There's the total inconvenience of it. Al Gore hates the dropoff. And don't give me that, "Well, I was running errands anyway." And there's the elitism. My kids will be shitty enough to ride the bus. And go to public school.

Plus, as a parent, you have to take all your vacation during the summer because your kids can't get off other times. So you instinctively love the summer. Well, I still have two weeks left of mine. I'm going to use that when the heavy workload of the football season starts to wear me down or when cold days require warmer climes or, really, whenever I feel like it. Parents are using their vacation up by the middle of the year. That makes the remaining four months awful, with no breaks in sight.

So yeah, I hate the winter. I hate having to clean snow off my windshield. I hate having to wear gloves. I hate inevitably losing those gloves. And more than anything, I hate that we still haven't found a decent way to keep the tip of the nose warm without covering the entire fucking face like we're going downhill skiing.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Love fall. My favorite season by far. And since we've been in virtual summer since March, it will be most welcome this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted