1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody Else Hate Fall?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I hate Fall. Gag.

Please forgive my mood, I've been in bed for 3 days with a nasty GI bug that I caught from my lil' guy.. It's that horrid Norovirus that comes 'round every year to signify the start of fucking Fall.

Fall robs us of summer, doesn't it? Summer doesn't actually end until late September, yet all last week I heard folks lament, "It's the final week of summer!" due to kiddos starting school this week.

When I lived in the South, Fall was a relief. Here in the Northeast, it's a reminder of the months of shitty weather ahead.

I hate jackets. Why can't I wear tank tops, sundresses and flip flops year 'round?

Fall contains the dreaded Halloween (winking to SF), the LONGEST holiday of them all. Halloween's eclipsed Christmas, you know that, right? The Halloween shit comes out in August. That's OVER 2 months of run-up.

All the beautiful green lushness goes bye bye until May.

And finally all the talk/ revalations / journalism about concussions, Parkinson's, and depression have begun to take the joy out of football for me. I can no longer watch a game without thinking of it.

Fall is now my least favorite season. Anyone with me? What can I do to get over this?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fall is great, at least here in the DC area. In a week or two, I'll be over summer. I love summer, though, and I hate winter, which means fall is the prefect mix for me. Hoodie weather. Tailgate season. I've even come over from the dark side and really enjoy Halloween now, mostly because my wife is really into it.

Bring it on!

3. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Wawa broke out the pumpkin spice coffee today for the first time this year. So incredibly tasty. However, I say it's too early. I LOVE fall. I think it's the best season. But I agree that it is forced upon us earlier now than ever.

So bring on the cooler temps, the hoodie weather and tailgates, the marshmallow roasting and cider drinking, the leaves turning and pumpkin beers. But please, wait until after Labor Day!

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm all ready for the magic of college football where it's still special: on the field. I'm looking forward to the weather no longer being hot and stuff, so I can start walking to work again. Bring on the fall.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't like Halloween. I don't like the end of baseball. I don't like shorter days. I don't like raking leaves. And I don't like outerwear, either. But I'm OK with fall. I usually feel energized. September and October are two of the more beautiful months around here, Luggie. Before baseball ends, there's the playoffs. Enjoy a cool, crisp morning on your deck or patio, play touch football, or tailgate at a Yale game, or take a foliage cruise....

Winter sucks, though.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Luggy it's the area that your in. Every mommy on the same track knowing what a grind the school year will be. Part of problem is self induced because of over scheduling of the kids.
    Everyday takes on the precise scheduling of a Normandy landing with little down time. No one wants to be left behind at the gate. The school systems don't help. They overwhelm the kids with an unrealistic work load all with the idea of getting little Mikey into one of the 8 or 9 colleges that everyone is chasing.

The assault of mothers invading with their Suburbans is back. Happens every year. I'll look in my rear view mirror and see an SUV right on my bumper. Sure enough its some mommy talking on her cell as she balances her Starbucks Latte racing to pick up little Madison to get her to dance class early so she can leave early to make soccer practice.

7. Lugnuts

Oh my God, Boom, you're right. I think that's a big part of it.

Cran, as you know, sadly, someone got run over and killed tailgating at Yale.

I immediately think of the negative. See the problem I'm having?

Keep the good fall thoughts coming, though, folks. It helps a little. :)

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I actually hate spring. Spring is a fucking liar. It warms up for a few days, makes you think winter is over, pull out the flip flops...and then it snows again. Or it rains for 6 weeks. Spring manipulates and teases and laughs at you when you leave the house in a shirt and come home needing a parka. Spring is a skanky tease that looks hot in the bar, until you get her home and see what was under the makeup.

But fall....fall has no bullshit. It says, "Listen, it's going to get worse from here," and then it follows through. You know what's coming. It doesn't taunt you with hopes that things are going to get better. It's reliable. Solid. "Those leaves on the trees? They're going to be all over your fucking yard tomorrow. Go pick 'em up." Okay. Got it.

I'm with you on the flip flops, though. If I'm paying $50 for these fucking Trina Turk rubber nothings, I'm going to wear them until it snows, and then some.

But fall = leather, and I do love leather.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fall is the best time of year. Sorry. The End.

10. Lugnuts

Ha! ;D. Well said.

But spring is a skank I love. I'd do a 3-way with her and summer.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The raking of leaves sucks. (Although $70 at Lowe's goes a long way toward solving that problem)
    The shorter days suck.

Everything else? I'm in.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just be careful, summer is a 22-year-old actress/model/lawstudent/chef/nanny with one eye on your husband. Looks good in the bikini but you never know how much sand is wedged in the crack of her ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted