1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else going early Saturday night due to the time change?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 6, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Our deadline is 11 p.m. We have the D-I school in our city going for a possible title in the conference and they're playing in western time zone.
    but we've never altered deadlines because of the time change.
    interesting.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Are you desking tonight?" is a question I heard 25 years ago.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Our's was moved up to 10 p.m. because of DST. First time in 20 years in the business I've ever seen it (granted, about seven of those years were at PMs). It didn't help that an area school was playing in a state basketball final that tipped at 7 p.m. As the clock ticks down, here's hoping for the best.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of it until today, either. There are reasons to cut an hour off deadline but I'm not sure the switch to DST is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Answer I was always given was you're losing an hour between deadline and the target time for having papers in everyone's driveways (5 a.m., 6 a.m., whatever time your place holds as sacred). How do you make up that hour? Early deadlines.

6. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Nobody even was aware of it in my place.
    I had to laugh at that.

"Doesn't anyone read the newspaper anymore?"

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i hope not since i was 16 minutes late.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds to me more like a managerial excuse to cut hours.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, that's just absurd! No newspaper manager in his right mind would ever do such a thing!

10. micke77

micke77 Member

by the time we all get used to this time change, it will be time for another one. i've been mixed up all day. :)

11. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

No, but I did miss most of the morning due to the time change. Between the clocks and the prep basketball finals, I was whipped most of today.

Only problem being now I have to be at work by 7 a.m. and am nowhere near tired enough to go to sleep.

Draft saved Draft deleted