1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else’s IP address been banned?

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Sea Bass, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

For a few days now, when I’m on my home wifi network, I get this message when I try to go on the site. When I turn off wifi and use 5G, I can get on as normal. Anybody else having this issue?

I suppose I could actually have been banned, though I’d be really surprised.

3F743F79-6FA9-42DD-8B79-E4273E44A76A.png

@Moderator1 @The Big Ragu

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is likely my doing. ... A little difficult to explain, but I have been trying to deal with spammers who have been relentless the last few months, and I only have access to crude tools as a moderator.

We have never banned IP addresses, but I started banning the ones they were using because they were coming at us hard. Their ISPs have an inexhaustible supply of IP addresses and seem to own ranges. Two days ago, when they were coming at the site hard, I realized I actually could ban IP address ranges and started to do it. I may have been too broad in some of the ranges. In fact, I am sure of it now on one group of addresses they were coming from a lot, and I suspect that is what created the problem. I may have cluelessly banned half the Internet and not known it!

I don't know what IP address you were coming from, but I just undid the broadest ranges I banned and I will try to keep it more targeted if they come back at us. I have a feeling it will fix the problem with you getting on, but If you are still having problems, please let me know.

I am really sorry about that. I am kind of winging it on this and learning by doing, and didn't want to create a problem like this, so I will undo all of the banned IP address ranges if that doesn't fix it, and go back to taking them one by one. It's just been a giant pain in the ass, and I am not on here all the time. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Liut, TigerVols, SFIND and 3 others like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping an eye on it, BR. Glad to see there's someone minding the store who can handle some of the back end stuff.

Liut, garrow and SFIND like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

God, I wish.

Draft saved Draft deleted