1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody covered Bob Knight?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Jan 9, 2008.

1. LeoDrummond

LeoDrummond New Member

Saying that guy covered Knight is like saying the Washington press corps blew the lid off the WMD intelligence.

2. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

A valid opinion, but one that would become pretty repetitive and boring if you actually had to cover the man substantively.

I don't see anyone defending Knight. I saw a question on what it's like to cover Bob Knight, and I see lots of people responding.

Knight is an ass, plain and simple. So have been many successful people in many walks of life.

It does bring up a question: Do you cover the ass or cover the coach? If the coach does something well, does him being a prick color the way you portray the accomplishment?

As someone who covered Bobby Petrino for several years, it was a question I constantly asked myself -- and a constant struggle to not let whatever crap I was going through with him color the coverage that came out in the paper.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

If you are a writer or historian observing college basketball, it would really be too easy and simple to just look at Bobby Knight and piegon hole him.

For instance, what would you get if you had a compare-and-contrast with Jim Valvano? or Woody Hayes?

John Feinstein, when he wrote A Season On The Brink, said in 1986 that when he weighed the good and bad points of Bobby Knight, he felt Knight would be a positive because he was a good teacher and didn't cheat.

I think in 1986, you could make a valid point - you wouldn't have to agree with it, but I think you should acknowledge it was a valid point.

However, something an old woman once told me comes to mind. She said "people generally don't change, except they get worse when they get older." I think that is a valid point in Bobby Knight's case - his bad points kind of get more grating and worse as time goes by. As I said earlier, the fact that he breaks Dean Smith's record in Lubbock, Texas may be fitting justice.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that too many writers go into a Bob Knight press conference looking to create a Bob Knight moment.

I have always wondered if Knight's attitude toward the media was conditioned by the feelings of his fishing buddy Ted Williams.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

another asshole?

6. Boom_70

Tom - did Williams give you a rough time? What were the circumstances?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

boom - come on buddy. i know williams is the stuff legend is made of, but damn dude, he was a prick, too.

8. Boom_70

Tom - from everything I have read - with Williams it is a chicken or egg issue. Some would say he became a prick after he was mistreated by the Boston media.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

boom - i might have empathy if you said his parents beat and abused him.

10. Boom_70

His son cut his head off and left him in a freezer. Feel bad now?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh fuck, that was rich. i have a new sig.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know I'm biased, but I can't stop laughing.

Draft saved Draft deleted