1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody can have a bad century

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I thought of that line, usually applied to the Chicago Cubs, when I saw this job ad. Emphasis is mine:

-- The Post-Tribune of Northwest Indiana (Gary, IN) seeks a North Lake/Gary editor with five years supervisory experience who will direct reporters to uncover and tell great stories in Gary, a community that is going through a tough spell involving crime, social and educational troubles; must be someone who has assigned daily, weekly and project stories and has a passion to repeat that success; must be a skillful editor who can relate to reporters both seasoned and green and make sure their stories are edited for quality, thoroughness, focus and usefulness, managing a bureau office and its staffers. Pay $40-50K/year. To apply, contact Paulette Haddix, executive editor, by calling (219) 648-3158 or e-mail phaddix@post-trib.com. (9/4)

Also, the paper fled Gary for Merrillville a few years ago.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's because of pool.

Maybe they need someone to come in and teach the kids how to play musical instruments.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It's easy to take potshots at a place like Gary (or Detroit or Newark or anywhere a lot of poor black people live), but Gary is a fascinating city and a great news town. Cities and areas like this are better places to be a reporter than affluent areas where everybody's kid scores a 1400 on their SAT.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As long as I could commute in from Chicago.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I spent a night there back in 1996. Boyfriend who was driving across country with me figured it was a good place to stop. But he wouldn't go to Detroit because he was worried something would happen to us.
    At Gary, we stayed at a place called the American Inn, where the desk clerk was protected by a bulletproof shield and there were what looked like gunshot spray on the back wall of the elevator.
    But Detroit was too dangerous.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

That's Hammond, not Gary.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Baghdad is a great place to be a reporter, too. God bless those adventurous and/or brave enough to do so.

For me, life is too short to live and/or work in hell.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i blame michael jackson

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It's not like the whole area is like that. Guess it depends on what kind of reporter you want to be.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I like being a breathing one.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Is Paula any relation to Harvey?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Doesn't this thread belong on the Asian dong jobs board?

Just asking.

Draft saved Draft deleted