1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody been to Switzerland?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ogre, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

What parts of Germany are you visiting

2. ogre

ogre Member

Stutgart, Frankfurt, Cologne...
    Thanks. This is what Im looking for...
    I had heard of this, but again, thanks for actual info. Now back to the quips. ;D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I worked in Switzerland (gastarbeiter) for about four months when I was a student.

Avoid Zermatt. Instead, go to Grindelwald, a town in the Alps that faces the Eiger mountain.

[​IMG]

If you go to Zurich, drop into the Hotel Baur au Lac (right on Lake Zurich) and have a drink for me for old time's sake.

4. ogre

ogre Member

10-4...

Consider it done JR!

5. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

I second the motion on Lucerne. Just an absolutely beautiful place.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I was in Italy for a month before I headed to other countries like Switzerland and when I saw they had a Mexican place, I was interested and the food was excellent.

7. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Second JR on Grindelwald. Breathtaking!

Lucky bastard.

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Third JR on Grindelwald. Too bad it's too early to ski!

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's Mexican food in Switzerland?

There sure as hell aren't any Mexicans.

Switzerland is a beautiful country but it's chock full of nasty racists.
    And the Swiss Germans look down on the French Swiss who look down on the Italian Swiss. And they all look down on the foreigners who come in to clean their toilets.

Remember, this is a place where women didn't get the vote until 1971.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There isn't a whole lot to see in Zurich but you'll probably want to spend a little time in the old quarter and the Lake. The Swiss Museum, which is right across the street from the train station, is worth a visit as well. I'm told the zoo is pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing. Supposedly they let the penguins out to walk around the property once in awhile.

There's also a pretty cool bar across the street from the main entrance to the train station. Can't remember the name of it but it's not hard to find. It's to the left of the McDonald's.

I'll echo the Lucerne comments. Neat little town. Pilatus is the mountain that looks down on it. Definitely worth the trip to the top on a clear day.

If you fly into Zurich you can catch the train right at the airport. Very convenient connections to the station downtown.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

QB's right. Unless you've got wheelbarrows of money and can spend the day shopping on the Banhofstrasse, there's not an awful lot in Zurich.

f you're an architecture freak, the Grossmunster Cathedral shouldn't be missed.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can't believe I forgot to mention the Cathedral.

Draft saved Draft deleted