1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody been to Switzerland?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ogre, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

Im heading over there on Thursday as part of a 10-day vacation, also going to Germy and France. Ive been to the later two, but never to Switz.

What are the must-do things in Zurich and surrounding areas if Im only there 3-4 days?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Open a bank account.. .you'll never know when you'll need a Swiss account

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If I ever get back to Switzerland, I'm going to Montreux.

Smoke on the water, baby!

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Don't ask for Swiss cheese. They'll know what you mean if you just say "cheese."

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I dated a Swiss girl.
    She was from Bern.
    I took her to Jack's Firehouse at 22nd and Fairmount in Philly for dinner on one of our dates.
    I ordered crab cakes.
    Her English comprehension wasn't very strong yet, and she thought I was ordering a dessert style cake with crab meat in it She was kind of grossed out until I explained what they were.
    It was pretty funny. She was very cool.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I once went there dressed as DeFranco. Only he and Mason were known in Switzerland.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Chocolate. Army Knife.

If you get to Lucerne, take the cable car to the top of the mountain that overlooks town. If the not-too-expensive hotel at the top of the cable car run is still there, definitely worth a stay, for sunrise there.

8. If you can get to Zermatt, take the cable car to the top of the Matterhorn. It's unbelievable.

It's a little complicated getting to Zermatt, but that's the fun part. The one train line that runs up to Zermatt is a nice, slow ride with incredible scenery. Astounding scenery.

Zermatt is a tourist trap, but it's way cool too. Get up in the cable car up to the Matterhorrn and you might find yourself breaking out show tunes from The Sound of Music. Once you come to your senses, start taking photos. It's all good, and you'll regret it if you miss it.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Watch out for the stupid with a flare gun.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Great mexican food at Tres Kilos in Zurich. Yes, mexican food. For a slightly different hotel stay, check out the Zic Zac Rock Hotel, not far from the train station. It's cheap and the bathroom (shower and toilet anyway) is a community thing, but each room is named for a different rock group. I stayed in the Hendrix room. It's not fancy, but the bed was quite comfortable. have a great trip.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

OK, I love Mexican food, but I'm not going all the way to Europe to eat Mexican food.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's an old church that's about 1,300 years old. Another old church has the largest clock face in Europe. Plenty of decent places to get drunk and the people are quite pleasant.

Draft saved Draft deleted